tdg84

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Okay so the Plextor M5P series was highly anticipated, and it was released overseas and then took forever until it came out in the US. Only the 128GB was available for a short time, then wasn't, then the all of them were available, and now they are all out of stock, even Plextor doesn't have the drive for sale. Was there some sort of problem with the M5P that I didn't catch? Since Plextor also makes DVD drives, is Sony's Recent folding of their DVD drive division an indication that Optical Drives makers are going downhill? What is the general consensus on Plextor in general and about thier SSD drives?

Solution
Plextor has some of the highest performing and most reliable SSDs available. Any supply issues are probably caused by the M5P being a professional model that's not in great supply, but is in great demand. The M5S is a much more easily found model and is fairly similar, but a more consumer-oriented version.
I haven't heard much about Plextor SSDs and thier performance, I would say that there are no SSDs that are really that much better then the others. There is a group of brands that have highly rated SSDs and they are Corsair , Crucial, Intel and Samsung. They are not seperated from the others by very much and they all seem to comein around the same speeds topping out at 550 mb/s read and 500mb/s write. What is a determining factor now is reliability and use of trim and garbage collection. I would say that the top SSD brand right now is Samsung 830 with the 840 about to be released in a few days. When the 840 comes out I'll get a 256gb model and reload the OS , but that's me and my plans.

Plextor has some of the highest performing and most reliable SSDs available. Any supply issues are probably caused by the M5P being a professional model that's not in great supply, but is in great demand. The M5S is a much more easily found model and is fairly similar, but a more consumer-oriented version.

Solution

tdg84

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Yes that is true, the M5S is easy to find and the M5P is the "higher end" model. But in previous releases, the M3 Pro and M3S were both available at the same time and continued to be up until the M5 series was coming out. This is like finding a lot of Hondas for sale, but Acuras are all sold out, not gonna happen cause money is to be made, right? Maybe thats a simple of nieve way of thinking, but hey i've been called :pt1cable: before.