Is My Hard Drive Failing?

accesscpu

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I just went to pull a video file from my extra internal HDD I have installed, and I noticed that several of the videos in that folder have become corrupt and are unplayable. This worried me as this is a fairly new drive and is where 90% of my storage/backup is done.

So, I immediately started running scans. Here are my results:

1) As it's a 1.5TB Seagate drive, I ran the "Seagate Tools for Windows" app. I ran both S.M.A.R.T Check, Short Drive Self Test, Short Generic and Long Generic tests. All came back as "Passed"

2) I then decided to run the CHKDSK option for that drive (using the "Error-Checking" option under the Tools tab in the drive properties). After it was complete, I tried to double check the log file. I was unable to find a result in the powershell.exe prompt for "wininit" as it gave me the "No matches found" result. In Event Viewer, I did find a CHKDSK entry. Here are the results of that:

Chkdsk was executed in read/write mode.

Checking file system on M:
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume label is Media HDD.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
137984 file records processed. File verification completed.
514 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 0 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
164362 index entries processed. Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
137984 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 17 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 17 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 17 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
13190 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36425904 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
137968 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
1969860 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

1465136127 KB total disk space.
1456915392 KB in 124090 files.
56748 KB in 13191 indexes.
284543 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
7879444 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
366284031 total allocation units on disk.
1969861 allocation units available on disk.

Can anyone tell me if there are any early warning signs, based on the info above that the drive is failing or could it just be something screwy going on with these video files themselves?

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
This does not look like an issue at the physical layer. I suspect this is a software issue.

If this problem persists I still believe it to be a software issue, but you might try using a different cable and USB port just to rule out a problem with data transmission.

TRENDING THREADS