GT 220 1 gig

hello. i have recently bought a geforce 220 one gig from best buy and i installed it but its not makeing much of a differance from my old radeon x1250 i could play games like crysis on thyat and it would give me ok fps on low settings but when i play it on the gt 220 its the same ? could this be a power problem ?

250 psu (300 recamended)
amd athlon X2 duel core processor 2.50 GHZ
3 gigs of ram and memory
16 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. That is a very very low Power Supply, and a 220 isn't that powerful of a card, but I'd recommend at least a 350 watt. They're very cheap to buy and should be fine.

Sorry to say the GT220 won't be a huge upgrade either from your previous video card if you intend on playing games like Crysis. You should have went with a more powerful card if you wanted to see a bigger increase in performance. A 250 or a 5750 would have netted you 3x more performance at a slight increase in cost.
  2. oh well i think i might be able to return it to get a 250 and yes i will buy a 350 watt psu from best buy or a retailer like that thank you :bounce:
  3. Heads up, power supplies and video cards tend to be cheaper if you buy them online (if you can handle the time for shipping).

Good luck!
  4. The GT220 is alot faster than the 1250, but it's still slow. It's like comparing 2mph vs 4mph. Sure that's a huge difference if your walking, but on the freeway that is Crysis you want to be going at least 60 :D
  5. ^^ Nice analogy! XD
  6. so basicly i had a taco with a little firesauce on it then i put a load of firesauce on it but i still dont have as much as the guy at the other table ?
  7. yeah pretty much and you'll be humbly surprised by home much cheaper gpus are online for example i found a 9800gt at staples for like 180 online you can have that card for $90 so half the cost
  8. well the thing is i never found out about tomshardware so i thought the gt 220 was good and so i opended it up and installed it so i dont think ill be able to return it and also i have a 250 watt psu if i havnt told you so i dont know how to install one of those
  9. if i ever did get a better video card it would probly be a ati radeon 4770 and a 550 watt psu thats most likely a total of 160 bucks and i am young so i think i will just settle witht he gt 220 for now. oh and can you guys give me your opinions about the amd athlon processor i have the 4800+ is it ok ?
  10. what socket do you have? if you have an am3 or even an am2+ you should look at the new athlon II processors pretty good for the money
  11. i think its a amd 2 socket but im am not positive i just wanted to know if its like really horrible at gameing
  12. techspot ran a GT220 in an overclocked i7 system and didn't break 180w in total system power. 350w for a GT220?? maybe if you bought the PSU of ebay for $10.....
  13. If the GT 220 is working, I don't see that he necessarily has a PSU issue. The performance issue is primarily based on three issues.

1) The CPU is old/aging/slow.

2) Crysis is a **BEAST**

3) The GT 220 is not really a gaming video card by today's standards.
  14. distantlander said:
    well the thing is i never found out about tomshardware so i thought the gt 220 was good and so i opended it up and installed it so i dont think ill be able to return it and also i have a 250 watt psu if i havnt told you so i dont know how to install one of those

You can try. When I worked at Best Buy (YEARS ago) they took returns on all kinds of opened computer components. LOL Worst thing that happens is they say no. But I kinda doubt it since it's not software or something you can copy.
  15. well ill email them and see what they have to say. oh and the x1250 (ive brought this up before) but no one seemed to awnser me, i disconected the 1250 and the gt 220 is worse ? in gameing ?
  16. ok i am going to install a new power supply this is the link, http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-W0070RUC-430W-Power-Supply/dp/B0009Q56N6/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1. i have a f690gvm type motherboard . do you guys know if it is compatible with my system? i have a cpu socket of amd 2 (940) can anyone give me a list of processors avaible to me that i can run in my pc ? i know this is a lot to take on and i thank you so very much for helping me if you can
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics