Connecting to router over internet

natas_heresy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
hi i have configured my router to accept my ISP IP address under "remote administrator" in router settings .(over the internet remotely) but i can only ping it over the internet, i cant use telnet or anything. im a bit of newbie really. how do i connect to the router? do i use web browsing or telnet? and if i wanted to just access a computer behind the router with VPN software how would i do that? cause the computers behind the router have DHCP class C static IP addresses, so with the VPN destination settings, do i type the PCs static address? or the routers internet IP? and if i entered the INternet IP, then wouldnt that be to vague since there are numerous computers behind the router. i know, im a newbie, but id appreciate some good tutorial links, or your own clear instructions. il love you long time. :D

MIKE

One of the slickest, easiest, and most flexible ways to do remote access is using LogMeIn Hamachi. Don’t be intimidated by the product because it sounds far more complex than it really is.

What it does is install a virtual network adapter under Network Connections and assigns it an IP address in the 5.x.x.x range. That remains your IP address permanently. Now you create a named network (or multiple named networks if you have the need) and have that computer (and any other computers you want to communicate with) JOIN that network. So imagine Hamachi installed on your home PC and a laptop. You have each JOIN the “MikesHomeNetwork” network (assuming the name isn’t already in use) and whalla, you’re both connected over the 5.x.x.x network via your respective IPs. Now you can do ANYTHING you like between those machines over a secure connection (RDP, VNC, HTTP, FTP, Telnet, share files and printers, etc.).

IOW, once your’re safely within the confines of the VPN, you don’t need to be managing all kinds of “one off” secure versions of this/that application or protocol (HTTPS, SFTP, SSH, etc.). That’s a just a nightmare. Instead, you install Hamachi once and then go on about your normal business, except using the 5.x.x.x network.

Notice you don’t have to manage firewall ports or even leave them open. You don’t even need to track your public IP w/ DDNS. That’s possible because Hamachi uses NAT-traversal and a rendezvous server to eliminate each of these, respectively.

Here’s a cool trick. Install Privoxy (a secure proxy server) on your machine at home and reconfigure IE or Firefox to use that proxy on your laptop at an open wifi locations to secure your local traffic!

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/733104-how-to-create-a-vpn-for-secure-web-browsing-using-hamachi/

In fact, you could leave that proxy running and your browser PERMANENTLY configured to use it. What ppl don’t immediately realize is that once Hamachi locates another Hamachi client, the connection is always DIRECT. So using Hamachi at home adds no more overhead. You could literally shutdown the Internet connection and the Hamachi connection would persist because it’s LOCAL (of course, in the case of the browser, it would be useless to have a working Hamachi connection but no Internet access, but you get the point). So it’s entirely practical to keep your laptop permanently configured w/ the proxy if you can keep the proxy available as well. Just connect to your local wifi hotspot (home or on the road) and go.

There’s a lot more you can do as well, such as use the Hamachi Gateway architecture to make your entire home network available using your home router’s IP scope (e.g., 192.168.1.x). That’s a bit more sophisticated and beyond what I would recommend at the moment. But it opens a world of possibilities and something you may want to explore later.

Honestly, try it. It’s ridiculously simple to install, configure, and use. And best of all, it's all FREE!

TIP: You can name your Hamachi clients using the LMHOSTS file, that way you don’t need to be referencing explicit IPs like 5.2.145.9 (or whatever) when communicating between them.

lacitegreenville

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Indeed I have installed hamachi the way you described, also installed privoxy and changed the listen address to the 5.x.x.x I have created (a network). I have tested the hamachi part with two machines but I got stuck when I try to use one of them to serve as proxy for web browsing (http). I don't know what went wrong (I followed steps and re-checked). The two machines both run Win7x64, can chat between them but no much else can be done it seemed?!

Any clue to what went wrong??

lacitegreenville

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
To this problem with Hamachi I posted a few days back, it is no longer a problem (and I have not done anything to fix it either) .. My own explanation is it takes sometime to get my 5.x.x.x (two in this case) to get set up somehow .. so by just waiting for a few days .. all the addresses got resolved somewhere .. anyone who may have a better technical explanation? Anyhow, I can now report I confirmed the installation feasibility offered in "eibgrad"'s post above indeed validated...