Excited!! Rate my new gig!

mechpro

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hey Guys,

I just customized a laptop from AlienWare Can I can get some feed back based soley on it's ability to play games at high levels of settings? Please note that I recognize I could have done better if I had used a different company but I really wanted an Alienware. I intend to use it for hardcore gaming and nothing else.

Processor: i7 620M 2.6 GHZ (Turbo up to 3.33 Cache 4MB)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Just one not dual)
HD: 250GB 7200 RPM SATA IIHDD
Screen: 17-inch WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 (900p)

Timop

Distinguished
You really cant use 8GB for gaming and Id opted for the 1080P screen.

If I was you, Id gotten G73 for $1600 with a i7 quad, 1080P screen, and 500GB hard drive and killer looks.

But pricing aside and brand preference, it should max out nearly every game on that resolution. Have fun!

mechpro

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Thank you for your feedback Timop. Given that I wanted an alienware, and budget constraints, it sounds like the machine will still max everything out. In my book that's a success. Though I did read somewhere that for gaming, the i7 620M is better than MOST i7 quads. I guess only 1 way to find out...

Timop

Distinguished

For some games, true. They barely use 2 cores so the dual with the much higher clocks would be quite a bit better than the i7. But for CPU-intensive games that can use all 4 cores, the quad would come out top by a margin.

mechpro

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
When you say "But for CPU-intensive games, the i7 would come out top by a margin." Do you mean any i7 would come out on top by a margin when compared to the i5 series? Or do you mean the i7 620M would come out on top by a margin when compared to to the i7 Quad Core series?

Timop

Distinguished

LOL, sorry. Accidentally classed the duals as i5s and quads as i7s... Let me edit.XD

mechpro

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
AH I see now. So does that mean that since the 620M is both an i7 (hence the name i7 620M) and Duo Core (because it has 2 cores) it's the best of both worlds? Also would you mind explaning why 8GB of RAM doesn't really have a significant impact on gaming. I did some research and my research told me that the increase in performance when upgrading to 8GB from 6GB was minimal but the reason I did it is because Alienware's 6GB configuration is 1 stick of 2 GB and 1 stick of 4GB. I didn't like that option because my research also told me that I should also try to have my RAM symetrically allocated. The 8GB is offered in the form of 2 sticks of 4GB each which is more symetrical than the available option for the 6GB. Any Thoughts?

Timop

Distinguished

No, lol. I just meant the quad would be better for for games that can use all 4 cores, but not all games can hence the dual with with a higher clockspeed is faster then.

Forgot Alienware starts at 6GB, instead of 4GB, then never-mind, decent laptop you got there. Theres tests done before that showed gaming doesn't benefit from more than 4GB, like this: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/1.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
It's like buying an i5 750 overclocked with a 4870 ... I'd rate your build a 4/10

Low resolution screen, excessive amount of ram, I bet the battery is going to cry after a few month of use.

Just don't buy alienware ... Unless you have 10k+ cash hanging there doing nothing. (under 10k you have nothing xD)