Sign in with
Your question

Adding a hard drive while computer has two in raid

Last response: in Storage
October 17, 2012 1:16:27 AM

i have a xps400 dell with two wd raptors in raid i want to add a seagate 300gig hard drive with out it being in raid. how do i get the new hard drive to work without it booting up with the raid. my email is corygta@yahoo.com
a b G Storage
October 17, 2012 2:46:28 AM

The xps400 motherboard has only 1 SATA controller which you have configured as RAID.

You will need to use IDE or add a PCIe or PCI SATA controller to plug the drive into.

(For future reference; It is a bad idea to attach your email address to a public post such as this.)
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
October 17, 2012 9:02:01 PM

I don't know the specifics of the way Dell manages RAID. But on systems I have used with one SATA controller that provides 4 SATA ports, even though all HDD's are plugged into ports of that one controller, they are NOT all part of a RAID array. There is RAID management software built into the BIOS and you use it to configure any RAID arrays. That starts by specifically designating which connected HDD's are to belong to which RAID array you create. By default, unless you assign an HDD to a particular RAID array, it is NOT a RAID drive. It is just a "normal" stand-alone HDD you can use.
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
October 17, 2012 10:48:20 PM

Hello,

The Dell computer layout has room for only 2 HDD's inside.
It does list 4 SATA ports on the board however.
The CD/DVD is connected by an IDE cable.

One other consideration with the limited space is to purchase an USB to SATA external enclosure, place the HDD in that, and connect it by USB port on the back. Here is just an example of an external enclosure if that might help. Cost ~$28.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-NST-360SU-BK-Exter...

With your computer, you would need a USB 2.0 version, and I'm assumming the Seagate HDD is a 3 1/2" size.
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:40:54 PM

Dr_JRE said:
The xps400 motherboard has only 1 SATA controller which you have configured as RAID.

You will need to use IDE or add a PCIe or PCI SATA controller to plug the drive into.

(For future reference; It is a bad idea to attach your email address to a public post such as this.)

thanku i did have it working about two years ago with all 3 but 1 raptor broke so i just left the two in raid
m
l
!