Sign in with
Your question
Closed

5850 triple screen woes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2010 5:49:06 AM

Hey Guys,

I've researched, I've looked through forums and I still can't get all 3 monitors working at once. I'm currently using a Diamond radeon HD 5850 graphics card. Connected to it I have 2 NEC LCD 765 monitors and an HP 50 inch plasma. The NEC monitors are connected via VGA to DVI converters, and the HP is connected via an HDMI cable. I can get 2 of 3 to run at once, despite the computer recognizing all 3. I have even tried plugging the HDMI cable to a HDMI to Display port converter, and plugged that into the display port. I read that if you are using 2 DVI ports and a Display port, that it should run all three screens. Can anyone shed some light onto this situation for me, as I am at the end of my rope trying to get these damn things all running.

If need be, I can post pictures of my setup

Thanks in advance.
June 23, 2010 2:03:58 PM

maybe you donĀ“t have enough power for 3 screens?
whats your system?
Score
June 23, 2010 5:51:12 PM

I believe I should have enough power, it's a 700 watt psu.

Rest of the specs:
Mobo:EVGA P55 FTW SLI 132-LF-E657-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: 700 watt ocz fatal1ty
CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
GPU: Diamond ATI Radeon HD 5850 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
RAM: 8 GBs OCZ PC3-12800 DDR3 low voltage Gold RAM
HD: 500GB WD Caviar black drive
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos

Score
Related resources
June 23, 2010 6:39:40 PM

Not to be an ass or anything, but PLEASE DO RESEARCH when you make big purchases like this. The eyefinity setup HAS to use the displayport and it HAS to be using an active DP>HDMI, active DP>DVI (both of which cost about $100) or a DP>VGA (around $20). You can then use the two DVI's or a DVI and HDMI along with the Displayport output.

Score
June 23, 2010 7:25:58 PM

alextheawesome said:
Not to be an ass or anything, but PLEASE DO RESEARCH when you make big purchases like this. The eyefinity setup HAS to use the displayport and it HAS to be using an active DP>HDMI, active DP>DVI (both of which cost about $100) or a DP>VGA (around $20). You can then use the two DVI's or a DVI and HDMI along with the Displayport output.

Well when I buit this computer, I had no intentions of running 3 monitors. I was recently given the plasma, so I said why the hell not and tried connecting it to the computer. Regardless, thanks for the help, I'll see what I can do with the current information and with what I have
Score
June 24, 2010 6:38:24 PM

Hi, I was in the same boat as you: Started with a 5850 with 1 1280x1024 monitor, and expanded with eyefinity.

here's what you do:

Buy a DP>VGA adapter, hook up main monitor to the DP>VGA, and other two hook up VGA (I'm not srue if you can do DVI for others, I think i went all VGA, which I think is important for 'signal' purposes to your monitors). You can buy this for 25$ on Newegg.

Next, when you boot your cpu, you'll notice that only 2/3 of the monitors come on, but once you get into windows (assuming windows 7) you should have all 3 monitors on.

Next, make sure all the montors are displaying in 1280x1024 resolution. You can go through the standard control panel for display and set that up.

Finally, run CCC and create your merged desktop screens (3x1 configuration). It should 'just work' but I've had problems where it can't detect the correct resolution when it makes the group. When this happens, gotta do a COLD reboot and try to create the gruop again.

But, I think the key here is all montors interface wtih VGA. This is a fine interface for resolutions under 1920x1080 (per monitor).

-C
Score
!