Sign in with
Your question

CPU temp rising over time, even though weather is getting colder?

Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2010 6:33:17 AM

Being 100% new to aftermarket heatsinks, I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. After installing it, my temps had dropped by almost 5c (from 35c idle to 30c idle). It's been about a month now, and the temps have gone from 30c idle to 34-36c idle. I know this is the opposite of what is supposed to happen (temps lower over time) for MX-1 paste, so what the hell is going on? I know there was a proper amount of MX-1 on the heatsink (not too much, not too little), and I cleaned my cpu off, so I'm having trouble finding where the issue lies. My CPU is always 1c higher than my GPU at idle temps. However, now, after a month, it has gone to 3-5c higher than GPU temps.

I can still pass 20 mins of prime95 and intel burn test with the gpu only hitting ~53c, but I'm still really confused.
October 4, 2010 7:17:18 AM

Maybe the area around the cpu is dusty or has dust, a few quick spray from an air compressor can does the trick. Fan not on full speed?
October 4, 2010 7:19:51 AM

there could be dust in the heat-sink, obstructing the airflow, vacuum it and see what happens... (be careful with it, a vacuum cleaner can cause a lot of static electricity so don't touch anything)
Related resources
October 4, 2010 7:30:03 AM

Air compressor/Compressed air in a can is recommended to blow any dust from within the case/on the fans.

Over time you will see a slight increase in temps no matter what, due to age and general wear and tear, ive seen my temps rise about 2oC in just a couple of months and the case is dust free, load temps go no higher, just idle temps.

As long as idle is between 25-40oC and no higher than 70oC on full load then your perfectly fine.
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 6:18:39 PM

Well 53 c on prime is excellent-
try to clear dust as suggested, compressed air- :D 
October 5, 2010 4:48:16 AM

55Range said:
Well 53 c on prime is excellent-
try to clear dust as suggested, compressed air- :D 

Indeed, it is a great temp. I'm just confused as to why it is rising when the temp outdoors gets colder. Suppose I'll buy some AS5 and reapply paste in a couple weeks.
I did notice, however, that the temps were at their usual this morning. 30c NB, 31-32c CPU, 36c SB. Ran 10 passes of intel burn test on standard stress and it peaked at 52c.
October 5, 2010 1:19:19 PM

I know it may sound stupid, but when it gets colder outside, the temperatures of the building inside to compansate for this to get it warmer inside.

a b à CPUs
October 5, 2010 6:51:59 PM

As others have stated just clean up everything. Do not waste the time or effort removing and adding new paste.

Clean ALL the fans/vents/air intakes/outakes in the system. Check your cable management as well.
!