Amd 1090t or Intel I7 ??.

hotel6

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
hi folks

Have at present an AMD based custom rig that is around three years old.
It has the 1st generation Asus crosshair motherboard and a AMD phenom 9550 BE thats over clocked to 3ghz.
I have read the reviews around both chipsets but lean towards the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Hexa Core Processor because of the cost variation between that and Intel's Core i7 Quad-core i7-950 3.06GHz Processor.
But i also wanted to get an Asus Crosshair IV Formula Desktop Motherboard{is it worth the extra coin for the extreme edition of Usb 3 etc ??}.
So i'm sort of stuck between the 1090T and the Crosshair or going I7-950 and the Asus RAMPAGE III GENE Desktop Motherboard.
But not being able to upgrade to the bulldozer chip for the Asus board is a bit lame...they released it late and it still doesnt support that cpu that is months away ?.
I upgraded from my original AMD 6000+ dual core to the phenom 9550 BE with just the bios update to 1207 :)
So i just wanted a setup that meant a good life span for the cashiesh.

thanks guy's..as ever it never hurts to ask the rest of you out there for some solid Intel.

hotel6

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
just for pc games...built it because back then we couldnt get an alienware machine sent from the usa to new zealand....i know..lame.
were not exactly in the axis of evil zone like north korea or iran.
play high end things like company of heroes..bad company 2...fallout 3 etc.
also have just a gtx 260 that replaced my leadtek 9800 ultra that died last year...need like a 460 but feel like a change from nvidia to ati...its hard being a consumer these days hahaha.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

For gaming, go with a Phenom II X4
For EXTREME gaming, go with the Core i7

And I don't the Bulldozer issue is just with Asus as I think Bulldozer will need a new socket. If that's the case, the none of the AM3 boards out will take Bulldozer.

Well ....

Over at the Asus forums they are running PhII 940BEs at 3.4-3.6GHz with BIOS 1402 on your motherboard. The 940s got really cheap around here and then started disappearing a month or so ago -- not sure how that works for your specific situation at the moment. Do you have to import everything ?

New Radeons are rolling this month but we're certainly in the dark as to when something may be available for you.

Can you call a local vendor and inquire about the HD 6XXXs ???

edit ....

sorry - here is the link to the Asus forums:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Crosshair&SLanguage=en-us

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

Going with Intel will leave an option for both SLI and CrossFire, in case the OP wants to have a go at either of them.The best bang for the buck for gaming is the Core i5 750/760 IMO.