Sign in with
Your question

Questions about SATA to USB adaptors

Last response: in Storage
October 17, 2012 2:47:54 AM

Hello i just have a question about this sata to usb adaptor i found
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

first things first does anyone know if there is a better one i dont want to spend more than 10 bucks and this one is really cheap and the only complaints i see is that it uses to usb ports

that brings me to my second question. if i only have 1 usb port could i use a wall plug to usb adaptor and plug one into that or do they both carry data

and one last one.
i always thought 2.5" drives used 5v power and isnt that as much as usb carrys? if thats true then why does it need 2?
a b G Storage
October 17, 2012 3:04:24 AM

The extra USB is not just for power.

You can run a 2.5" HD from USB without external power, but the speed would be unbearable.

You would be much happier with an enclosure that uses at least 2 USB cables.

One thing about USB is that the S stands for Serial, which means data can only flow in one direction at a time.

By using two cables you could effectively double the transmission rate.

By using USB 3.0, you will see an improvement in throughput as well. (The one you selected is 2.0 which can get you some pretty good speed.)
m
l
October 17, 2012 3:19:31 AM

what is the second one for then?
what do you mean data can only flow in one direction?
how does having 2 usbs double transfer rate?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 17, 2012 3:43:52 AM

USB can either be either idle, uploading, or downloading. It cannot read data and write data at the same time (like when one lane of a 2 lane, 2 way street has been blocked off and a traffic cop controls the flow of traffic for both directions by only letting traffic flow one direction at a time. Any one wanting to go the other way must stop and wait their turn.)

By having two cables, you can increase the flow of traffic (This is especially true for SSD)
m
l
October 17, 2012 3:49:42 AM

Dr_JRE said:
USB can either be either idle, uploading, or downloading. It cannot read data and write data at the same time (like when one lane of a 2 lane, 2 way street has been blocked off and a traffic cop controls the flow of traffic for both directions by only letting traffic flow one direction at a time. Any one wanting to go the other way must stop and wait their turn.)

By having two cables, you can increase the flow of traffic (This is especially true for SSD)

ok i get it. i thought you mean the s in serial and i thought then how do computers work at all

so the second usb lets it do 2 things at a time?
if thats true what if im only going to be reading or writing never both
m
l
a b G Storage
October 17, 2012 3:59:13 AM

I have a 1 wire Sony USB HD enclosure and it it is next to useless. I have found that by turning disk caching on when copying to the device and turning disk caching off when reading from the device gets me better throughput but it is a pain. without using this disk caching method i can only get about 800KB/s with bursts of 1.5 MB/s. Not fast enough to watch a video from the external hard drive.

Using my Maxtor enclosure which uses 3 USB cables and not having to worry about disk caching, I get speeds of 28 MB/s with bursts of 68 MB/s. The third cable is overkill and unnecessary.
m
l
October 18, 2012 12:11:20 AM

i think i will just fork out the money and get an external HDD

thanks for helping
m
l
!