Re-install Win 7 to SSD that I just installed it to

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Just got finished installing Win 7 HP 64bit to a new Samsung 830 256 GB SSD. I had Win 7 create it's own 100 MB System Reserved partition, I set the primary partition at 225 GB and left about 14 GB unallocated space. The install went fine (especially from a USB flash drive - about 10 minutes!). Setup went fine and I installed drivers - downloaded from ASRock website, for the most necessary ones. Ended up with one Unknown Device in Device Manager - can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

I'm thinking of re-installing Win 7 to the exact same partition it is on now, re-doing the driver install and seeing if I can get it straightened out. I will use the driver disc I got with the ASRock motherboard. My question is:

What is the best way to do this? During Win 7 install should I just format the existing C partition and if so what is the best method -- would a quick format be the best for the SSD?

I'm pulling my hair out when reading all the opinions on this -- Do a Secure Erase, no, don't do a Secure Erase, etc. I'm sure I'll get different opinions here also. All I want to do is get Win 7 re-installed and cause the least wear and tear on the new SSD.

New system specs in signature.

The missing driver is probably a chipset driver. If not try Windows update to find the driver. What is the motherboard type number.
I doubt that reinstalling Windows will solve the problem of the missing driver, but if you want to reinstall then simply do a quick format and reinstall, simple.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the reply. I had installed the INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019. I believe that is the chipset driver. MB is a ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX.

Here is the list of drivers available for this MB with notes as to which I didn't install.

Audio Realtek high definition audio driver ver:R2.66 - INSTALLED
INF INF (chipset) driver ver:9.3.0.1019 - INSTALLED
Intel Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.3.1427 - INSTALLED
Lan Realtek Lan driver ver:7048 - INSTALLED
USB Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:1.0.4.220 - INSTALLED
VGA VGA driver ver:15.26.12.64.2761 - INSTALLED
HDD ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.3.1 - INSTALLED
HDD Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver ver:11.2.0.1006 - INSTALLED

NOT INSTALLED
Intel Intel Rapid Start driver ver:1.0.0.1021 - I disabled Sleep & Hibernate for the SSD
Intel Intel Smart Connect driver ver:2.0.1083.0 - For updating email, social apps, etc, when system is in sleep mode. I disabled Sleep and Hibernate and don't do social media.
CIR - CIR receiver driver ver:20110219 - This is an ASRock driver for a remote control
Other - AppCharger ver:1.0.5 - ASRock driver for quicker charging of iPads, iPods, etc. Don't think I need
Other - Lucid Virtu MVP ver:2.1.114 - Modify Battlefield3 can not play issue. - This is ASRock's description. I don't game.
HDD SATA RAID Driver - Not running a RAID setup.

I think I will install the CIR driver (board has a remote header). Any thoughts about Lucid Virtu MVP driver as I don't game?

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks so much for your tip. I had no idea about doing that! That worked great, I was able to establish that it was the Intel Smart Connect Technology driver. I don't plan on using that utility at all but evidently it was something that should have been installed when I installed the Intel ME (Management Engine) driver but evidently something didn't work. Here's a link to more info in case anyone else runs into this particular driver problem.
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2230357.html

Everything clean in Device Manager now. Again, many thanks.