Celeron M chip question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 21, 2004 6:13:52 PM

The Sunday paper arrived with some ads for laptops. A few nice prices that I
would consider. They have the Celeron M chip, 1.3 speed with L2 cache. My
question is, are these a good chips? Can I have some opinions on them.

thanks,
Geo

More about : celeron chip question

November 21, 2004 8:34:30 PM

George <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
: The Sunday paper arrived with some ads for laptops. A few nice prices that I
: would consider. They have the Celeron M chip, 1.3 speed with L2 cache. My
: question is, are these a good chips? Can I have some opinions on them.

The Celeron M is a budget version of Intel's Pentium M, which is a
microprocessor (CPU) designed to save power and conserve battery
life. This is great technology. The Celeron M may have a smaller L2
cache than the Pentium M (all modern CPU chips have L2 caches), but
larger cache size usually means faster performance and/or better
battery life. So the Celeron M will be a little slower than the
Pentium M.

The Celeron M may have a 512KB or a 1MB cache (1MB is larger and
better). You might find out which one the advertised product has from
the "processor number" (for example, "Celeron 310") and going here:

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/celer...

for more information.

I'm guessing a Celeron M 1.3GHZ would not be all that fast given the
small cache. But it depends how you would be using your laptop. This
chip should be fast enough for basic tasks like surfing the web and
doing word processing, etc. Find out what the rated battery life is
from this particular laptop.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> The Sunday paper arrived with some ads for laptops. A few nice prices that
> would consider. They have the Celeron M chip, 1.3 speed with L2 cache. My
> question is, are these a good chips? Can I have some opinions on them.
>
> thanks,
> Geo

Wife has a Acer Travelmate 290EX, with this Celeron M 1.3 chip. It works
fine for everyday computing, surfing, word, etc and will play a few older
games quite well (SMA Graphics - so it would never be that good).

£499 from Staples. Not available online, you have to go into the stores to
buy.

<<SS>>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 21, 2004 9:20:06 PM

> The Sunday paper arrived with some ads for laptops. A few nice prices that
> would consider. They have the Celeron M chip, 1.3 speed with L2 cache. My
> question is, are these a good chips? Can I have some opinions on them.

First test, nearly as fast as my Pentium-M notebook.

When You do not need the last possible speed,
I would recommend it

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization