Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Performance
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2010 8:32:27 AM

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and have never posted on any forum before. I have been looking on the forum regarding the gtx 480, because I am having problems with it. I have been having performance issues with my system for more than 2 years now.

I recently brought an evga gtx 480; upgrading from a pair of 8800gt sli (they underpeformed, that's why I decided to upgrade in the first place)

Specs:

CPU: q9650 @3.0 GHz (stock)- (bought it mainly because my old e6700 couldn't handle BFBC2)
Mobo: Asus p5n-d
Memory: 2x2GB Ddr2 800
PSU: Corsair TX 850
Monitor: 27' Samsung 1920X1080

I seem to be getting low frame rates in games I've played so far. (Crysis: Warhead, BFBC2, Farcry 2). FPS in BFBC2 is always around 25-40. In Farcry 2 (20-35). In crysis warhead (20-30)

I played the above games with mostly very high settings, which I believe the card is capable of. Turning settings,AA on/off does not make much of a difference. (except for crysis) For example: when playing BFBC2, low settings with no AA and high settings with max AA, I get similar same frame rates (1-5 fps difference at most). Same with FC2, no matter at what settings, fps always stays around 20-30.

I tried oc'ing the q9650 to 3.5 GHz, but the performance did not change at all.

I did a clean driver install (used driver sweeper) a several times. Tried a few different versions of drivers, including the latest one.

3d mark score is around 17k (maybe a little low)?

So guys, what the hell is wrong with my system? I have had it for almost 3 years now and even getting upgrades after upgrades, it is still underperforming. I just want to play my damn games in decent frame rates! This is extremely frustrating for me since I have spent so much money on the pc. Any help will be great!

Thank you.

More about : gtx 480 bad performance

a b Î Nvidia
June 23, 2010 8:46:26 AM

My first thought was CPU bottleneck as your problem is very similar to someone else's on another forum (xtremesystems), he has a Q6600 at 3.2Ghz which was bottlenecking his GTX480.

However you've said that you've overclocked your Q9650 and noticed no change in performance, this does sound odd though, because your 3DMark06 score would have definitely gone up.
Anyway don't worry about 3DMark06 its extremely CPU dependent for example with my Core i7 920 @ stock I get roughly 17K, with my core i7 920 @ 4.4Ghz I get just over 27K.

My second thought was PSU not being up to the job as that can cause low performance, however you have a very decent PSU.....

Have you tried uninstalling all your nVidia driver's, Running driver sweeper and then installing the latest drivers?

Also can you run the Crysis benchmark with your CPU at stock speed and then again at 3.5Ghz and report back with the results?
m
l
June 23, 2010 9:24:03 AM

@omgitzfata:

Thanks for your reply, I will try to run the crysis benchmark with my CPU at stock speed tonight. However, I ll have to wait till tmrw to run it at 3.5Ghz. (I RMA'd a recently bought CPU cooler)

"Have you tried uninstalling all your nVidia driver's, Running driver sweeper and then installing the latest drivers?"
-yea, I have done that already.

m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 23, 2010 10:06:12 AM

Ok good, well you should atleast see a gain in minimum FPS once you've OC'd your CPU, and your 3DMark06 score should definitely increase.

If your could do the same tests with FC2 that would be great :) 

Lets us know how you get on.
m
l
June 24, 2010 10:27:40 AM

Quote:
how about reducing resolution.does that help

Try running Heaven and get back to me; I had to do a complete rebuild last month because my q9550 OC @ 3.7 was not getting job done...

I am running 2 480's though, my fps were low in Crysis and a few other games, the game I tested was World n Conflict, ran a benchmark with my old system and was hitting a adv fps of 54. I figured no way that could be right considering my older ATI tri-fire setup (4870x2 + 4870) was hitting 52 before I bought the GTX 480's.

After upgrading to a i7 960 OC @ 3.7, my fps in World n Conflict went from 54 to 130! My fps in Crysis also jumped up.

I am also hitting close to 36000 in 3d vantage, im sure I could get that higher if I OC'd my cards a bit but thats huge compared to my older tri-fire build which capped at around 9500.
m
l
June 25, 2010 12:02:05 PM

Thanks for the advices guys.

I am currently running into some family issues. Once its over, I will get back to you guys with the results.

@solidnickel: "I had to do a complete rebuild last month because my q9550 OC @ 3.7 was not getting job done..." -that sounds scary. I just spent 850 dollars this month on q9650 and the gtx 480. I thought I would use the q9650 and skip the whole i7 generation.
m
l
June 25, 2010 12:04:51 PM

"how about reducing resolution.does that help:"

-in FC2, no matter at what resolution and settings, the fps stays the same.

Again, I will get back to you guys with more results.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2010 12:31:39 PM

Ok man, look forward to the results.
m
l
June 25, 2010 1:12:06 PM

The i7 rape the q series so badly mate you made a bad choice!

The q series run the 200 series cards better butthe i series run the 400 series better
m
l
June 25, 2010 1:54:43 PM

@ matthewmododoc...

Your 3d mark sounds right for that cpu, i was also getting around 17k and it jumped to over 23k with one GTX 480 when I upgraded to the I7 so your cpu is bottlenecking the gpu abit but you should still be able to avg a min fps of 30 and higher on most games with the settings turned all the way up @ that resolution with the exeption of the following games that I had problems with min fps drops below 30 via q9550...

Metro 2033
Crysis
Alien vs Predator
BFBC2
Just Cause 2
Batman AA
Split Second <----- even though it has a 30 fps cap, it would still drop down to 27 during explosions but settings were on very high

All the games above would drop below the 30 fps barrier at times with everything turned on high including AA, Tessellation and DOV for direct X 11 games.

The only games that dropped below 30 fps were metro 2033 and Crysis after upgrading to the i7 hince why I bought another GTX 480 now nothing drops below 45 fps. I like playing all my games at maximum settings also so I feel your pain but you can always sell your q9650 and upgrade to a i7 later, just lower your settings for now.
m
l
!