Upgrade for Photo work (not gamer)

nnm69

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Looking at a few options to upgrade my home PC. My current setup is over 7 years old :) and while photo related apps run more or less decent any serious batch process like Panorama and HDR work takes time. Additionally running constant processes such as onoine backup and AV take toll on CPU and RAM.
So I have been looking around and trying to decide on the platform. Currently choosing between i5 and i7.

what I would like:

1. USB 3.0 - I keep my computers around for a while and don't want to have to do another build any time soon.

2. Sata 3 - same reason. Plus I may consider switching to SSD for the OS drive

3. Price - I dont want to spend the minimum that I have to in order to meet the needs. I am not looking to build a gaming system.

4. Would be nice to have a good onboard RAID.

So my questions are: for graphics related work does i7 really make a big difference vs i5? Same goes to dual vs quad core. The price difference between these things can run in hundreds of dollars.

Also I need to upgrade my Video card as the current one is AGP )))) and the power supply.

1. I would like the PS to be quiet.
2. I don't want to overspend on the video card but I would like it to have HDMI.
3. I want to replace the fans in my case with some quieter ones. Any suggestions on the brand?

Solution
Ok.

Many of the latest boards come with SATA and USB 3.0. The i7 is the processor to aim for but Lynnfield based architecture provides a good balance between performance and budget. You most certainly will need a new video card. AGP went out with the Ark and no modern board will support it. For graphics aim for a NVIDIA. As far as HDMI goes that depends on the Graphics card you buy but many support it. Make sure you go for 4 GB RAM at least. A 64 bit OS will be required for this much RAM especially if your Video Card has a lot of RAM on it. Dont worry about SSD at this stage. Real world computing tests demonstrate that the WD Velicoraptors provide ample HDD performance at a good price and capacity. For RAID aim for a board that has an...

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Ok.

Many of the latest boards come with SATA and USB 3.0. The i7 is the processor to aim for but Lynnfield based architecture provides a good balance between performance and budget. You most certainly will need a new video card. AGP went out with the Ark and no modern board will support it. For graphics aim for a NVIDIA. As far as HDMI goes that depends on the Graphics card you buy but many support it. Make sure you go for 4 GB RAM at least. A 64 bit OS will be required for this much RAM especially if your Video Card has a lot of RAM on it. Dont worry about SSD at this stage. Real world computing tests demonstrate that the WD Velicoraptors provide ample HDD performance at a good price and capacity. For RAID aim for a board that has an Intel Chipset and RAID listed in its specifications. Aim for a PSU of at least 650 Watts. Always aim for a Quad Core (i5 or i7) Dual Core simply does not cut it when it comes to intense Video and Photo editing especially video editing.

Solution
For all/any non gaming rig i would seriously consider the Thuban X6 1055T, an after market cooler and an 880G/SB850 mobo with all the goodies like USB 3.0 via NEC controler (no chipset currently has native solution) and native SATA 6GB/s If $$ no object then of course the Gulftown hehe Apps/software no advantage via GPU acceleration then HD 4250 integrated ftw else could be a professional class GPU would net ya the biggest gains ^^

Example config @ $703AR
Untitled-1841.jpg

^That is pretty good. But you don't need the aftermarket heatsink, and you don't need the SSD. The stock heatsink is perfectly fine, and actually quite good unless you are planning on heavy overclocking. The SSD, they are nice, no doubt, but a real pricey item. They are not worth what you pay for them. They are getting cheaper all the time, wait another year before investing in a SSD. $159 is not terrible, but I think it is still too much for too little. I do like everything else right there, and that would do a pretty good job for you. Would be an amazing rig compared to what you have now, simply amazing.

billygoat17

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I dont think for the money/performance that you can go wrong with the x6 1055T...
Intel is WAY to expensive, and for the money you wont get that much more benefit...A six core like the AMD will do wonders for your CS4 work and for your wallet...that said... you can use the extra $$$ for good memory (which we know CS4 sucks up).. and more HD space....

I am building a Photoshop machine and am going with Batuchka's suggestions also..... i cant see myself $1400 on a Intel i-7/mobo combo...

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

No the 1366 socket is dying, if he ever wanted to upgrade he would need a whole new motherboard+ram+CPU with AMD you just buy the CPU, and AMD is just cheaper and better bang for the buck, and an affordable 6 core for all that photo rendering :)

nnm69

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I looked around some more and decided to go with the i5 quad-core. According to benchmark tests its faster than the AMD you mentioned and the price is the same or lower. Once I buy the equipment I do not intend on switching CPU's so 1156 going away is not a concern for me.
Now I just need to pick a decent and inexpensive Video card.

rrvball

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

Which benchmark tests are you referring to? On PassMark, I see the x6 1055T faster both overclocked
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

and stock http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

nnm69

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

ananad tech had an article on phenom. regardless - with no price difference and very little performance difference as it relates to my needs I will pick Intel.

I looked at some graphics cards NVIDIA GT240 are priced under a 100 bucks. I found one fanless which is a bonus. There are some other NVIDIA chipsets that are bargain priced. I am trying to figure out whats better less but higher performance RAM or more lower performance RAM. For the same price you can buy 500MB DDR3 256 bit and 1GB of 128bit.

nnm69

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Went with I7 config as the 930 CPU was 199 at a local shop.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ZOTAC ZT-20404-20L GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-

Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Case Fan - 3 of them to quiet my case down a bit

Decided to hold off on the SSD. Satisfied with my Igloo case so no further hardware needed.

total without CPU - 600 bucks :)