Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BLOWN PSU

Last response: in Components
October 4, 2010 12:19:11 PM

Hi

Just assembled a new basic PC[1 October], the config. are q6600 2.4 ghz, intel DG41RQ m/n, 2 gb ram, 2 hdd, 2 optical drives and 400W PSU [iball].

Y'day morning there was a big bang in the PSU and a slight burning smell was observed :cry: 

I replaced the PSU of the same capacity and every thing was looking fine, but after some time first one of my h/d was not detected but after a complete reboot it was back again.

But today both of the h/d were not getting detected :pt1cable: 

tried a few basic remedies like checking for burnt cable, defective SATA port, changed cables etc and the result was that some time the system boots some time it hangs on the windows screen and majority of the time the h/d wont be detected.

Any advice on what all might have got damaged..........

Thanks

More about : blown psu

October 4, 2010 3:58:58 PM

Did you tried another PSU?
m
l
October 4, 2010 4:20:06 PM

bikerider said:
Hi

Just assembled a new basic PC[1 October], the config. are q6600 2.4 ghz, intel DG41RQ m/n, 2 gb ram, 2 hdd, 2 optical drives and 400W PSU [iball].

Y'day morning there was a big bang in the PSU and a slight burning smell was observed :cry: 

I replaced the PSU of the same capacity and every thing was looking fine, but after some time first one of my h/d was not detected but after a complete reboot it was back again.

But today both of the h/d were not getting detected :pt1cable: 

tried a few basic remedies like checking for burnt cable, defective SATA port, changed cables etc and the result was that some time the system boots some time it hangs on the windows screen and majority of the time the h/d wont be detected.

Any advice on what all might have got damaged..........

Thanks

Sorry to hear that... Well if you've tried a brand new PSU and things didn't work out then the next thing I would think got damaged could possibly be your motherboard... Try and get those disks to a friend and if they work then I think mobo is wasted...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 4:21:09 PM

It's a guess at best to discern what components may have been damaged.
You fail to mention what make and model of psu you have.
Of dubious quality no doubt since it blew up.
Replacing it with the same make and model is something i wouldn't recommend.
Anything on your board could have been damaged.
I would be taking a close look at the board for burn marks and blown caps and not so much at cables.
I would clear/reset my CMOS and hope/pray it wasn't damaged.
If you replaced with the same or other cheapo psu do yourself a favor and spend some dough on a good one.
A psu isn't a component to skimp on.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
October 5, 2010 4:48:43 AM

noble said:
Sorry to hear that... Well if you've tried a brand new PSU and things didn't work out then the next thing I would think got damaged could possibly be your motherboard... Try and get those disks to a friend and if they work then I think mobo is wasted...

the sys booted up fine after the blast and i worked on the machine for one day without any problem, so i guess the disks are fine.
m
l
October 5, 2010 4:55:15 AM

Aneesh@4GHz said:
Did you tried another PSU?

i had another of the same brand lying about so i tried it and every thing looked fine thankfully. but after some time one of the h/d was not getting detected but after a few restarts it did show up, but unfortunately after a few more hours the none[h/d] were not getting detected
m
l
October 12, 2010 1:26:09 AM

Best answer selected by bikerider.
m
l
!