Solved

Possible upgrade of currenty system - advice needed

Approximate Purchase date: October 2010
Parts not needed : Keyboard, Computer Casing, Mouse, Screen
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Cross Fire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1920*1080

Dear Tomshardware Community,
I recently bought a system (last year :??: ) but not satisfied with the current performance, i mostly play on 1920 * 1080, but the with the recent releases my system is starting to become obsolete (i think so :??: ). I would be grateful if you guys could help me upgrading / choosing some parts that will get me the best performance for money.

Currently My Spec is :

Casing - Coolermaster HAF 932
Power Supply - Gigabyte 550W
Processor - Intel Core2Duo E8400
Memory - 4GB Kingston Ram
Motherboard - Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
Graphic Card - MSI N260 GTX T2D869 216Core OC
Hard Disk - Hitachi 500 GB

Am planning do some upgrades with my current system. What are your views on these items ?

Processor - Core i5 750
Motherboard - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Memory - Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR3 1600

If i can save some money i might get a :

Graphic Card - GTX 470

Is it a necessity to change my PSU if i upgrade my processor. My Budget is aroung $850-$900 (Counting shipping and tax rates as i don't live in USA). Thats it guys, i would be grateful that you could comment / advice me :)
Thanks
Mat2rue
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about possible upgrade currenty system advice needed
  1. What is it that makes you think your current system is needing the upgrade? Are games running slow/choppy? Etc. If so, you may just need the video card upgrade.
  2. Well i did the Final Fantasy 14 Benchmark and got 2500- ish score. Played Starcraft 2 Today and got 30 FPS on 1920*1080 on medium settings. If i get a better video card on my current setup, will i not suffer from CPU bottleneck ? The things is am wondering if my system won't be outdated soon to play new games.

Thanks for the ultra fast reply lol :D
  3. Best answer
    The E8400 would only be an issue in CPU intensive games.

Here's the win-win way to look at it: You buy the card and all of your games run faster (win), or you buy the card and see no difference-> you can carry over the new card to a new build (win) so no loss there.

Another thing to consider is your power supply. I've read that the GTX 470 needs a 550W with 38A on the +12V rails and your 550W Gigabyte has 30A. Maybe consider one of the ATI HD58xxx cards that need less power.
  4. Dear rwpritchett, thanks again for the reply. I think ill follow your advice and get a graphic card first as you said its a win-win situation but there is no hurry as i said i will get the parts in October or if i burn something will overclocking :P.

Cheers mate
  5. Best answer selected by Mat2rue.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems