hoppywan

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello,

I have a 1tb and 500gb drive(s) installed in my d-link 325- both now have data on them and i do understand this will be lost if i set up as any RAID

My question is- can i partition a raid 0 setup into 2 or more ?. I cant see if this is posible using the D-Link os

Thanks

Adrian

(apologies for any stupidity in my question)

tomatthe

Distinguished
Creating a raid set with unmatched disk is generally a bad idea. At the least you would be losing 500gb of space from the 1tb drive which leaves you with data that is more vulnerable and less usable space.

Most likely you could partition the raid set however you wanted, although I'm not familiar with that exact nas device.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
theoretically it is possibily depending on the controller, but he real question is why? i will bet there is a better away of achieving your goal, if you let us know what that is

hoppywan

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
At the moment the 500gb drive is full access to all with the 1b unit only accesable to the managers.

The 1tb is FTP/webdav enabled wereas the 500gb one is'nt

This seems a quite a clunky and waste of resource for such lte amounts of data stored. I guess there would be no more than 600gb in total.

The offsite security is important.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
It may be more space than needed, but that amount of space is quite small and cheap these days. If the administration and access are you your liking I would just leave it alone.

Patitioning does not seem relevent here.

hoppywan

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Well it seems the old adage of "If it aint broke don't fix it" is valid.

Thanks for the input guys