Old CPU running a little hot

jujumbura

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hello all,

I have a machine at home that I have been using in various forms for about 4 years. During its lifespan I have replaced the motherboard, the power supply, and some of the memory, due to bad parts or just plain upgrading. All-in-all it still runs pretty well, except for one thing: the CPU seems to be a bit hotter than it should, and I can hear the fan continually spinning up and down when it idles.

The processor is a Core2 Duo 6600 and as I write this ( running nothing but IE ), RealTemp reports it as having one core at 68-70 C, the other at 65-69 C. This is pretty much the way it always is, but I have seen them get to 72 C when running games. ( The GPU reads at about 74 C )

I don't remember when exactly this problem started; it may have been when I reseated the processor onto the replaced motherboard. But in any case, it has been running like this for at least 2 years. I have never overclocked the processor, it is running at stock speeds with the stock fan. At one point ( ~1.5 years ago ) I suspected that I had screwed up the thermal paste, so I scraped it off and replaced it with some fresh arctic silver, following the instructions as closely as I could. I seem to recall that it made a difference, but I'm not sure what temps it initially read.

So here's what I'm wondering:

- Is this a problem? It's been running like this for a long time, should I bother poking around with it?

- If yes to above, what should I start with? Reseating the processor, reapplying thermal paste? Blowing out CPU/GPU fans? Blowing out case fans?

Thanks much for any advice!

Solution
First of all it is not the end of the world...your CPU can survive worst.
About the temps....
Can you test your temps at idle (make sure it is idle via task manager) vs full load with programs like prime or better EVEREST Ultimate. You can download it from http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads
You can learn many things from EVEREST Ultimate....but you need some experience to make sense of what you see. You can see how fast your CPU reaching maximum temperate, if the CPU throttling etc.
If you want your CPU to be cooler than it is you can do few things.
- Make sure the CPU cooler is in place, with fresh thermal paste, that it is not dusty, and the fan working properly.
- Make sure you have the correct CPU and voltage settings in...

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
First of all it is not the end of the world...your CPU can survive worst.
About the temps....
Can you test your temps at idle (make sure it is idle via task manager) vs full load with programs like prime or better EVEREST Ultimate. You can download it from http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads
You can learn many things from EVEREST Ultimate....but you need some experience to make sense of what you see. You can see how fast your CPU reaching maximum temperate, if the CPU throttling etc.
If you want your CPU to be cooler than it is you can do few things.
- Make sure the CPU cooler is in place, with fresh thermal paste, that it is not dusty, and the fan working properly.
- Make sure you have the correct CPU and voltage settings in BIOS.
- Make sure that case temps acceptable.
You can by after market cooler if you like....
What is really bothering me is that you saying that your CPU has the same temps at idle and full load. Make sure that your OS is really idle. If it is try uprating your BIOS...it can be just censor bug or something...

Solution