Your question

Best gaming CPU for 70-120€?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:40:04 PM

Hello, i would like to know what is good processor for gaming around 70-120€?

More about : gaming cpu 120

a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 4:04:14 PM

What are your current system specs or are you building new? For a new system I'd say you'd be best off going for the Phenom II X4 955 BE on the AM3 socket. It will be more than enough for today's games and will be good for a few years yet. Furthermore, the AM3 socket should be compatible with the upcoming Bulldozer CPUs which AMD plan to release in the near future, so you have a good upgrade path here.

If you can post your current or intended system specs then we will be able to offer more specific advice. Hope this helps!
October 4, 2010 4:11:34 PM

rexzone said:
Hello, i would like to know what is good processor for gaming around 70-120€?

Tom's got it for you here :) 
Related resources
October 4, 2010 4:18:15 PM

I'm not sure yet should i build one or just upgrade. I have old comp by Acer.
Here is my system specs:
Processor: athlon x2 4200+ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 2 Gt (don't know what speed)
Video Card: ATi x850 XT
Power supply: 300w

I was also thinking to buy new video card "nVIDIA GTX460".
October 4, 2010 4:53:10 PM

rexzone said:
I'm not sure yet should i build one or just upgrade. I have old comp by Acer.
Here is my system specs:
Processor: athlon x2 4200+ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 2 Gt (don't know what speed)
Video Card: ATi x850 XT
Power supply: 300w

I was also thinking to buy new video card "nVIDIA GTX460".

If you're thinking about mid-level gaming as a gtx460 suggests then you'd definitely need a new Power Supply as 300W will not be enough, another CPU as an x2 4200 will be limiting the card's performance and be a bottleneck and possibly some 2GB more RAM.

I'm not sure if you can upgrade your PC with a new CPU and checking Acer site could help you with that. Does that have PCI express slot ?

I think judging from your comp's age and what you think you do you are better off getting something new than saving 100 bucks using old motherboard and RAM...
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 5:29:27 PM

Agree with noble here, there aren't too many upgrades you can do on your current rig. A new system would be a far more cost-effective solution. If you have DDR2 memory you could opt for an AM2+ motherboard so you can use your existing RAM, but personally I would be tempted to go for an AM3 board and new DDR3 RAM as well. As noble said you'll need a better PSU as well to power modern graphics cards. If you can post your budget and where you will be buying your parts from then maybe we can put together a system for you.
October 4, 2010 9:37:57 PM

Budget would be about 400-600€ (Don't know exactly yet).
This is the site where i want to buy parts from: http://www.verkkokauppa.com/ (Finnish site, i live in Finland).
October 5, 2010 9:08:13 AM

rexzone said:
Budget would be about 400-600€ (Don't know exactly yet).
This is the site where i want to buy parts from: http://www.verkkokauppa.com/ (Finnish site, i live in Finland).

You can get an AMD Athlon II X3 445 CPU for 82€ and for a GTX 460 around 180€, then I would suggest you get an AM3 motherboard (asus, gigabyte etc) depending on the cards (PCI, PCIEx) you have or plan to have for 70-100€ (gigabyte, asus, etc).
4GB RAM is around 70€.
Finally, you would at least need 100€ for an entry level case + 450-500W power supply (quality brands like corsair, antec, etc),

That brings you around 500€ without considering anything else like DVD writer, Hard disk drive, keyboard, Mouse etc...
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 5, 2010 9:40:59 AM

What motherboard do you have?
!