Sign in with
Your question

New to ATI Cards, having LOTs of trouble with HD 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2010 2:08:39 PM

Hello folks. I've been a happy GeForce 8800 GTS 512 owner for the past two years. But after being thoroughly impressed with the price: performance of the Phenom II, I decided to convert my system from an intel to an AMD rig. So first thing I've bought is two Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 5770's (obviously for now I can run only one at a time). I am beginning to rethink that decision.

Here's what I've run into:

1) Delay/lag/choppy 3D applications. At first it was also doing it in 2D when I'd just move windows around or minimize/maximize them - even got BSOD twice. Then I updated to latest drivers, and 2D is smooth now, so far no BSOD, but 3D still lags. Barely perceptible on the one card, very noticable on the other. I'll have 50fps then all of a sudden it dips for no reason and then back up to 50fps and then a few seconds later it lags again.

2) I'm getting feedback thru my speakers when the card runs a 3D app. (sounds like when someone install a car stereo and runs the power lead along side signal wires and you get a hum thru the speakers that matches the RPMs of your engine.

3) I uninstalled NVIDIA drivers, now i can't play any of my games that utilized Physx. I'm thinking the easiest fix would be to pop my 8800 back in, install Physx drivers, then put in HD 5770 again. Thoughts?

4) I also had a heck of a time getting DXVA to work in MPC-HC. I don't even know what i did to get it to work. Which scares me cuz I really don't want to have to play with it for an hour again should it decide not to work.

5) Why isn't OpenCL checked in GPU-Z? These cards should support OpenCL...

thanks,
Ethan

oh, system specs:

mobo: eVGA 780i SLI
CPU: intel C2D E8400
RAM: OCZ 2x2GB SLI
PSU: ULTRA 550w modular
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770
June 23, 2010 3:19:08 PM

Quote:
what games are u playing.and what ur power supply brand.are u using two 5770 in crossfire.

Mass Effect 2, Mirror's Edge, Trackmania mostly. Can't play ME2 or Mirror's Edge because of previously mentioned Physx problem. So Lagging occurs in Trackmania, Unigine Heaven demo, rthdribl, Kombuster, etc.

Power Supply is an ULTRA 550w modular. I can't run them in Crossfire yet because I still have my eVGA 780i SLI mobo. So I'm running one at a time.

The easiest solution would be to just send them back, but I really want to switch over to an AMD-based system so I need to get these puppies running without any trouble. Plus they have some really great advantages I don't see in any NVIDIA cards at the moment.

thanks,
Ethan
June 23, 2010 6:06:26 PM

OpenCL isn't checked because the OpenCL drivers are separate.

Did you use driver sweeper to remove the nvidia driver before installing the 5770?
The steps should be:
Reboot in safe mode, use driver sweeper
Take out 8800GT
Put in 5770
Install CCC

Do you have the latest 10.6 Catalyst?
Related resources
June 23, 2010 6:39:26 PM

sabot00 said:
OpenCL isn't checked because the OpenCL drivers are separate.

Did you use driver sweeper to remove the nvidia driver before installing the 5770?
The steps should be:
Reboot in safe mode, use driver sweeper
Take out 8800GT
Put in 5770
Install CCC

Do you have the latest 10.6 Catalyst?

Yep, did all those steps. It did make an improvement, but the lag is still there for 3D apps.

Thanks for tip about OpenCL. I'll look for where to DL those drivers.

Also I *might* have a fix for the feedback I'm getting in my speakers, I'm going to try moving my soundcard one port away from the GPU and see what that does for me.

The lag, however, is my most pressing concern. The odd thing is although the frame rates have increased as much as 20fps over my 8800 GTS, the 8800 plays smoother because of the choppy/lag problem with the HD 5770's. Although I suspect the one card might be faulty because (a) it lags much worse and (b) it seems to offer very little FPS advantage compared to the other 5770.

Again, any suggestions/tips are appreciated.

thx, Ethan
June 23, 2010 7:06:03 PM

I suspect your motherboard might be to blame, as the nVidia chipsets weren't known to play that great with ATI cards, especially not the newer ones.

Did you plug in the PSU cable? Should be a 6-pin.

Also for the feedback putting some aluminum foil between your sound card and the graphics card might help.

The lag might be the interference from the sound card too.

Do all those things first, then try updating the BIOS on your mobo.
June 23, 2010 7:48:34 PM

sabot00 said:
I suspect your motherboard might be to blame, as the nVidia chipsets weren't known to play that great with ATI cards, especially not the newer ones.

Did you plug in the PSU cable? Should be a 6-pin.

Also for the feedback putting some aluminum foil between your sound card and the graphics card might help.

The lag might be the interference from the sound card too.

Do all those things first, then try updating the BIOS on your mobo.

Plugged in 6-pin power of course (I'm not an expert, but I try not to be a total noob either :D ).

Anyways, I was afraid of the NVIDIA chipset being a possible suspect, because a new mobo is a long way off. But you gave me some great suggestions. I will try them tonight or tomorrow and post results.

Thanks again very much for your assistance, Ethan
June 23, 2010 7:53:59 PM

The sound issues my be down to drivers:The 5XXX series handles sound through its own HD chip and can give problems if the correct driver/s are not installed.
I've had isues with ATI cards and sound and the solution was always to install the Microsoft HD (azalia) drivers in addition to the soundcard software.
Updating the MB BIOS will not hurt, just make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing before you start: Get it wrong and it'll brick the system :( 
Win 7 will allow multiple video drivers and cards to be installed, it is probable that you could use the 8800 as a PhysX card in conjunction with the 5770 as primary renderer-check the Forum or Google it;)
I'm not sure how much power the dual card setup will use, the Agiea cards were PCI-e 1X so not too powerful, but how much current an 8800 will draw when used for PhysX is unknown.
June 23, 2010 8:35:07 PM

#1. Uninstall video drivers, CCC, HDMI audio driver
#2. Reboot.
#3. Run Driver sweeper application (DriverCleaner Pro or other)
#4. Reboot.
#5. Install 10.6 Catalyst, Driver & CCC ONLY - do NOT install the hdmi audio driver unless you actually plan on using this.
#6. Configure your setting in CCC -- do not force any level of AA/AF or vsync from CCC, leave it to applications. Only set the filter types, Catalyst AI, AA quality, etc.

To play your PhysX games, simply download PhysX drivers -- GOOGLE. You do not need to do anything with your old card or the NVidia drivers for this.
June 24, 2010 12:22:17 AM

Im using a 5770, and when I installed Dragon Age Origins, it added a PhysX control panel option in my control panel. I removed it thinking "how'd that green junk get on my computer"? But when I did it would not let me play DAO any more, even though I didnt have a PhysX processor to begin with. Long story short I reinstalled the game saving my saved games folder ofcourse, and it reinstalled the PhysX option in my control panel, and cool beans DAO worked once again. I don't know if this will help you with your game problems, but I;m thinking when you uninstalled your NVidia drivers and removed the PhysX, maybe your unplayable games now, relied on it being there weather or not the PhysX processor is or not, like in my case. As far as laggy 3D apps, others had great ideas to update your BIOS, mobo, or PSU. Hope the game idea helped GL.
June 24, 2010 12:26:52 AM

I got a 780i my self (XFX) and it runs just fine when I use ATI cards and capture cards. Test each 5770 to see if there is a difference of behavior with each card. Also you can try to update the drivers for your chipset.
June 24, 2010 2:30:07 AM

Well I got the audio problem fixed...for the most part. Although I have a sound card, I was actually using my mobo's sound. So before I did anything, I plugged my speakers into the sound card itself and tadaaa! No more feedback.

As for lag problem, will try all suggestions. on a side note, when running Unigine Heaven, i got a FPS increase by taking AA from 4x to 8x. Odd.
June 26, 2010 4:35:01 PM

OK lag and tearing in Heaven demo was solved by enabling VSYNC. On my 8800 GTS vsync only worked if I was playing a game where the card could do > 60fps. But I tried it on the HD 5770 just for the heck of it and whaddyaknow? Solved lag and screen tearing at the same time. Also found out both cards can OC to 950/1350 on stock voltages. Not too shabby for a card that stays under 65°C and that isn't any louder than my case fans under load. (@ idle I can't hear them unless I put my head next to the case)

Sooo... problem #1, #2 solved. #3 solved by reinstalling PHYSX drivers. #4 - still playing in DXVA mode no problems, shaders enabled in MPC-HD so that's no longer a concern.

Wish these cards were a little more "plug-n-play", but now that they are working properly, I love them. Can't wait to get a new mobo so I can Xfire them.

#5 still not solved though. GPU-Z saying OpenCL is not enabled. ANy suggestion on how I can tell if that really the case or not?
June 27, 2010 7:17:59 AM

Did you install the OpenCL drivers?
June 28, 2010 12:31:00 AM

sabot00 said:
Did you install the OpenCL drivers?

I tried installing ATI's Stream SDK but still no OpenCL. Also DL'd GPU Caps Viewer and it too reports there is no OpenCL platform available. After reading up on OpenCL i'm thinking its most likely because I've got a newer AMD GPU and an older Intel CPU. So I'll have to wait until I get a new mobo and CPU to see if that changes things.

On another note, I thought my troubles with streaming video were over, but a little earlier I got a BSOD with an atikmpag.sys error message whilst trying to rock out to a Five Finger Death Punch video. *sigh* I'm starting to not love my new cards anymore. :sweat: 
June 29, 2010 4:19:13 AM

ok now tonight I got my first crash while gaming. i can't let these cards destroy my system with daily crashes, and Sapphire tech support is clearly useless, I wouldn't hire them to wipe my ass.

So unless someone here has a magic fix for all these constant crashes, I've had it with these things. I guess all the things I've read about ATI cards being problematic and drivers being buggy is true. They run cool, quiet and use very little power, but that means nothing if my computer locks up every time I try to watch a video or play a game. guess I'll stick with my 8800gts for a little longer.
June 29, 2010 5:02:13 AM

Some of the 57xx-58xx line have been known to act up like that. For whatever reason, God knows, it's been said it's stock clock/memory settings to faulty VRAM. I gave up on my 5770 a while ago, after spending a week trying to troubleshoot it. If you aren't getting anywhere with software fixes I would see if you can RMA it or get it exchanged from the seller. If a different (new) card doesn't help it's software and you know you don't have to worry about faulty hardware. Or if you don't want to waste the time/money on RMA/exchange see if you have a friend whose system you can test it on.

Good luck
Jamm

P.S. - I wouldn't be to surprised if it was a hardware problem. I did a fresh OS wipe/install and still got crashes/BSODs out of nowhere (gaming or idle). All I can say is good luck! (Or I could say: "Sell it and save for a different card/line/chipset release." ;)  )
July 1, 2010 1:27:48 AM

jammert19 said:
...If a different (new) card doesn't help it's software and you know you don't have to worry about faulty hardware. Or if you don't want to waste the time/money on RMA/exchange see if you have a friend whose system you can test it on.

Good luck
Jamm

Good points. You got me thinkin too. When I installed the new cards I uninstalled all my NVIDIA drivers, including performance. So I lost my overclock and voltage settings for CPU, chipset and memory and everything went back to stock. After I got the 5770's stabilized, I set my performance OC and voltages back up to what they were, then the cards start crashing again even worse then before. So I'm thinking maybe they just don't like how much power they're getting. As it happens, my boss bought me a HD4870 for my work computer AND a 750w PSU. So I'm gonna take your advice and borrow some parts from my work computer this weekend and see if my theory is correct. Cuz I buy all my components with OCing in mind, so if I have to keep things stock that kinda defeats the purpose of my purchases.

So I *really* hope I am right about the cards just needing more power, cuz when they're working right, these cards are just so quiet and cool and perform amazing. I got Dirt2 maxed out all settings @ 1920x1200 on my 28" LCD and its getting 30-40fps on a single card. I just want them to work dangit!
July 1, 2010 2:17:18 AM

550W should be enough to power your system with OC and that card. You might have a point with the OC affecting the 5770. When I had mine I had my CPU OC'd the whole time, if the card doesn't allow a stable overclock (or any at all), it's not worth what it saves. I OC my i5-750 from 2.6 stock to 3.8-4.0 and a GTX 470 to 150Mhz/300Mhz over stock settings without a single problem. Heck my temps on the Graphics don't top 70C and my CPU doesn't top 50C. I really have this feeling the OC has to do with the 5770 though, it's just stuck in my gut now :/ 

Good thinking! (and good luck),
Jamm
July 31, 2010 2:54:25 AM

Well I think I solved just about all my problems, I have been enjoying my HD 5770's for the past month with only two crashes.

I flashed the BIOS using radeon BIOS Editor so that my idle clocks went from 157core/300mem to 210core/300mem. That solved half my problems. The other half went away when I upgraded to a new 850w PSU. Don't know why I need 850w for a single card, but it helped with stability and let me OC both my GPU and CPU higher than I've ever been able to get them.
July 31, 2010 10:16:38 AM

dude, if you are using a PCI sound card you need to disable the onboard sound in the motherboard bios. It would also pay to disable anything else you dont use, midi, com ports, etc. Id say you dont need an 850w psu, but it sounds like your old one was just a crappy budget brand (ive never heard of "ultra" psu's before) and it couldnt handle the power draw. I dont understand why you got 2 x 5770's if you can't run them in xfire?? you should have just got a better single card.
August 1, 2010 4:29:40 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
Id say you dont need an 850w psu, but it sounds like your old one was just a crappy budget brand (ive never heard of "ultra" psu's before) and it couldnt handle the power draw. I dont understand why you got 2 x 5770's if you can't run them in xfire?? you should have just got a better single card.

Um Ultra makes a lot of computer hardware. They were the first ones to make modular power supplies. Of course, that doesn't mean my PSU wasn't performing good, I'm just sayin I'm surprised you haven't heard of them.

I bought 2x5770's because I'm going to buy a mobo that can xfire them, just haven't got there yet. And currently there is no single-card solution that can match 2x 5770's price-to-performance, and runs as cool and quiet. If there was I would've bought it. ;) 
!