Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU recommendations to power ONLY A 5870

Last response: in Components
October 4, 2010 4:51:08 PM

Hi,

I am currently setting up my DIY Vidock (http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...) with a 5870. However, the PSU I got (really cheap Casegears/Sunbeam 480W $15) doesn't have enough amperage or power flow to power the card correctly. The second the 5870 goes under load, connection to the monitor shuts off.

I am looking for a cheap but high quality PSU that will power the 5870 without problems. I believe the 5870 takes 230W to run on it's own, and my budget is about $40-$50. I heard the Corsair 400W one used to be $30, but now it's $60 :-\

Any recommendations for power sources?

Thanks!
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 5:17:45 PM

Yup that one would be perfect. Other options would be the VX550W from Corsair. Costs $90!
October 4, 2010 8:12:38 PM

Those all seem a bit overkill... Are there any >400W PSU's made by good companies like Antec, Seasonic or Corsair that cost a bit less?
a c 248 ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 8:42:20 PM

You are trying to power a ~$350 card and you want to spend less than $50 on the PSU? That just seems silly. I wouldnt get less than a good 500W unit for a 5870, its a high end card, dont get a crappy PSU that might not be able to run it or will need to be replaced every year or two it will just cost you more in the end. I would go for the S12II 520W unit linked to above.
October 4, 2010 9:04:33 PM

Oops, my above post meant less thatn 400W. Regardless, I think I'll be dishing out at least that much. I believe it takes 230W anyways.
October 4, 2010 10:44:16 PM

:p  The S12II 520W that was linked up is a good choice, Nothing below that though =P. To be honest I'd recommend a 600w PSU, if you ever want to OC you want some headroom, and a 500w-520w just barely cuts it.

5870 OC'd Power consumption: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3732/overclocked-our-cust...

Not to mention most of the time the GPU will be under load. Plus your CPU (depending on which one) Will most likely be under load as well when playing games like RTS (IE Napoleon Total War) So that would push you TDP on your CPU as well. =P Overall I'd just recommend forking a little more for a good PSU. It's probably one of the most key parts to a system.
October 4, 2010 11:11:14 PM

aznshinobi said:
:p  The S12II 520W that was linked up is a good choice, Nothing below that though =P. To be honest I'd recommend a 600w PSU, if you ever want to OC you want some headroom, and a 500w-520w just barely cuts it.

5870 OC'd Power consumption: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3732/overclocked-our-cust...

Not to mention most of the time the GPU will be under load. Plus your CPU (depending on which one) Will most likely be under load as well when playing games like RTS (IE Napoleon Total War) So that would push you TDP on your CPU as well. =P Overall I'd just recommend forking a little more for a good PSU. It's probably one of the most key parts to a system.

PEOPLE... PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT
I am using this in a DIY VIDOCK setup (external graphics card). This means the only thing powered is essentially the 5870. The CPU, RAM, and drives are all already powered INSIDE THE LAPTOP.
October 4, 2010 11:40:06 PM

OHHHHh, haha then yea that Seasonic is good enough.
October 5, 2010 4:26:32 PM

Alright, I'm thinking of this one=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Nando4: "The moduler is rated high enough and each of the two pci-e plugs could provide the pci-e power. Then all the remains getting floppy molex input to the PE4H from the molex plug, so would need some sort of adapter.

It's also a dual-rail PSU so not sure what rail that molex connector runs from.

$20 is worth a go imho. If it works would actually be one of the most compact and cheapest setups available. Perfect for DIY Vidock."

What adapter would I need?
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 4:42:22 PM

I HIGHLY recommend against getting that ePower. It's not the best of brands.

Quote:
Oops, my above post meant less thatn 400W. Regardless, I think I'll be dishing out at least that much. I believe it takes 230W anyways.

Is there a reason you want a PSU less than 400W? Realize that going below 300W would result in a pretty good draw on the PSU an pushing it to the limit. I personally would not get anything below 400W to power even just a 5870.

Also, WHY are you so insistent on cheeping out on the PSU? This is what usually either makes or breaks a system.
October 5, 2010 4:59:14 PM

Shadow703793 said:
I HIGHLY recommend against getting that ePower. It's not the best of brands.

Quote:

Is there a reason you want a PSU less than 400W? Realize that going below 300W would result in a pretty good draw on the PSU an pushing it to the limit. I personally would not get anything below 400W to power even just a 5870.

Also, WHY are you so insistent on cheeping out on the PSU? This is what usually either makes or breaks a system.

Because this isn't for a system, this is for an external graphics card. Only the video card is powered, nothing else. The radeon 5870 apparently only draws about 250W of power, and anything near 300 would be sufficient. The problem was that my 480W PSU didn't have enough amperage to keep the 5870 fully powered under load. Nando suggested the modular PSU as a good choice but said that I would need an adapter, which I am now trying to find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Nando4: "The moduler is rated high enough and each of the two pci-e plugs could provide the pci-e power. Then all the remains getting floppy molex input to the PE4H from the molex plug, so would need some sort of adapter.

It's also a dual-rail PSU so not sure what rail that molex connector runs from.

$20 is worth a go imho. If it works would actually be one of the most compact and cheapest setups available. Perfect for DIY Vidock."

What adapter would I need?
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 10:00:07 PM

Quote:
The radeon 5870 apparently only draws about 250W of power, and anything near 300 would be sufficient.

Yes, but that's an 83.33% load on that 300W PSU. There are not many (if any) 300W units capable of being efficient at that load.
October 5, 2010 11:28:28 PM

aznshinobi said:
Wrong... On load it draws 400... Idle is 141. Way off.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841/26

None of those PSUs would work mosox. Mayybe... The seasonic. But not even.

AznShinobi, notice that the title of the graphs are labeled "Total system power". This means the entire system's power intake is being shown, not only the 5870's.

I have decided on this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with this adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Female-MOLEX-4-Pin-Power-Cable-Gende...

Ty for the suggestions everyone!
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 11:30:15 PM

aznshinobi said:
Wrong... On load it draws 400... Idle is 141. Way off.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841/26

None of those PSUs would work mosox. Mayybe... The seasonic. But not even.

ruhtraeel said:
AznShinobi, notice that the title of the graphs are labeled "Total system power". This means the entire system's power intake is being shown, not only the 5870's.

^This. Next time read carefully aznshinobi.
October 5, 2010 11:33:13 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422...

Still 354 =P Lets actually say though that it is 354 (since gpu is on load most of the time. Even that 430 watt seagate couldn't keep up with it ALL the time. 80+ bronze is 82% efficiency. Therefore minimum it'd output 352. And even if it reaches bare minimum, I wouldn't bet it could keep the 5870 powered all the time.

But yes, sorry I read that wrong. Still though, the 5870 in the review here, idles at 141 and loads at 354.
October 5, 2010 11:50:23 PM

aznshinobi said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422...

Still 354 =P Lets actually say though that it is 354 (since gpu is on load most of the time. Even that 430 watt seagate couldn't keep up with it ALL the time. 80+ bronze is 82% efficiency. Therefore minimum it'd output 352. And even if it reaches bare minimum, I wouldn't bet it could keep the 5870 powered all the time.

But yes, sorry I read that wrong. Still though, the 5870 in the review here, idles at 141 and loads at 354.

"We tested on an LGA 1366-based machine sporting Intel's fastest Core i7 processor, the 975 Extreme, overclocked to 4 GHz. The idea here is that we wanted to eliminate CPU bottlenecks wherever possible, though you'll noticed these graphics cards are so fast that CPU-bound situations are unavoidable at times.

Also, the GeForce GTX 285s had to be run at 100% fan duty cycle in SLI mode, else they'd crash."

Added to that, "The worst power offender is a pair of GeForce GTX 285s in SLI though, which take system power up to 620W. " The SYSTEM power shows 620W on the graph.

I doubt that any GPU review site will ever test the 5870 using anything other than a full fledged machine. Which makes sense, as the majority of desktop GPU owners actually have their GPU in their desktop :-p
October 5, 2010 11:55:09 PM

Well Tom's wanted to boast XD What do you expect. If I had a 980X I'd be likkeeee whoooraaahhh, even though its not even worth what it costs. a whopping 1000$
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 5:04:56 PM

The CX400 is a high quality mainstream PSU but is not the proper PSU for running a system with a 5870. It has only one PCIe connector and provides only 360W on the +12V. A 5870 will need 200W at full load, so you will be in the very limit. There is no reason for doing it.

Go for the SEASONIC S12II-Bronze 520W (Reviews: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page678.htm).
It's an excellent PSU that gives you the two PCIe connectors that you need for running the 5870 and it's able to provide 480W on the +12V, 96W more than the Antec Basiq 550W. Antec has awesome PSUs but this one is not one of them. A new Basiq 550W model will be soon available and this one will be able to deliver 444W, which is a good improvement. It will be manufactured by Delta too.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 5:21:04 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
The CX400 is a high quality mainstream PSU but is not the proper PSU for running a system with a 5870. It has only one PCIe connector and provides only 360W on the +12V. A 5870 will need 200W at full load, so you will be in the very limit. There is no reason for doing it.

Go for the SEASONIC S12II-Bronze 520W (Reviews: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page678.htm).
It's an excellent PSU that gives you the two PCIe connectors that you need for running the 5870 and it's able to provide 480W on the +12V, 96W more than the Antec Basiq 550W. Antec has awesome PSUs but this one is not one of them. A new Basiq 550W model will be soon available and this one will be able to deliver 444W, which is a good improvement. It will be manufactured by Delta too.

Henry you arrived late and didnt read. The OP just needs a power supply to run JUST the GPU and thats it so the CX400 or even the Antec EA380 are more then enough to run just the GPU granted you will need an adapter.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 5:25:06 PM

saaiello said:
Henry you arrived late and didnt read. The OP just needs a power supply to run JUST the GPU and thats it so the CX400 or even the Antec EA380 are more then enough to run just the GPU granted you will need an adapter.

No, It isn´t.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 8:56:06 PM

^ Yes it is. A Corsair 400CX WILL power JUST a 5870 fine.
October 6, 2010 10:20:20 PM

No it wont... The 80+ simply means it'll run at least 80% most of the time. Even at that, the PSU will run at least 320 watts. During load, the 5870 takes up 354 watts. Thats even if the PSU ran 90% it'd barely get by. Plus the CX only has 1x6 pin.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 10:52:25 PM

^ You DO realize that the true power output for the 400CX is MUCH more than 400W?

JUST the ATI 5870 DO NOT draw 354W!!! WTF is wrong with you people? ALL of these 354W you are quoting is measured AT THE AC SOURCE for the ENTIRE system, NOT just the GPU. If the GPU was using that much power most of the PSUs that are running it would be DEAD.

Btw, this is the source you are using: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422...
Notice that "At AC Source" part in the graph? Yeah, that's for FULL system draw.

A SINGLE 5870 draws a MAX of about 230W OCed: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/22/amds_ati_rade...
Again, notice how they gave the TOTAL system draw AND the power draw WITH OUT the GPU (161W)? To find JUST the GPU power draw you need to subtract 161W from the total power draw reported. In this case, with the OCed 5870 it is 230W.

You people need to read the damn graphs/reviews correctly! STOP spreading MISINFORMATION!

edit:
As for having only a single PCIe power connection, you can easily buy Molex to PCIe power connector.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 11:30:26 PM

Shadow they don't understand how efficiency works at all.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 11:40:40 PM

^ lol. I don't care to explain that. Too much work as they even don't get system load vs GPU load yet.
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 11:43:14 PM

Yea I started typing it and said never mind.
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 12:05:07 AM

^ EPIC WIN.
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 3:26:12 PM

^ Umm... OK, what's your point?
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 3:46:15 PM

I'm with Shadow and SAAIELLO on this one for sure. A solid 400W unit should easily power JUST a 5870 not including any other system devices - which is actually what the OP is asking.

Shadow, I think the link Henry posted to is an explanation of how efficiency works - i.e. the PSU still provides the same power to the system, it just effectively needs to pull more from the wall to do so.
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 3:50:06 PM

@OP: You can get a VX450W and be done with it!

There maybe Seasonic 450W available also for much cheaper price. Check them out.
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 4:15:20 PM

My point is that recommending second class products (as the Antec Basiq 550W) JUST because Antec is sending you products for free is a shame . Saaiello has no credibility for me. The Seasonic S12II is a much better solution for a few more bucks and he won't have to use two PSUs. Saaiello's problem is that Seasonic isn´t sending him any present.
About the people that is trying to give lessons about I don't know what, the only thing I can say is that "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" (la ignorancia es atrevida).
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 6:11:52 PM

^ The fact is, that we were not arguing about the quality of the PSU. The Antec Basiq (the new revision) is pretty decent, not the best, but decent. Yes, the S12II is better. Also, how do you know Antec is sending him "free" units?

What we were arguing about is that the ATI 5870 DO NOT draw 354W. At least that's what I was arguing about.
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 12:36:31 AM

Henry Chinaski said:
My point is that recommending second class products (as the Antec Basiq 550W) JUST because Antec is sending you products for free is a shame . Saaiello has no credibility for me. The Seasonic S12II is a much better solution for a few more bucks and he won't have to use two PSUs. Saaiello's problem is that Seasonic isn´t sending him any present.
About the people that is trying to give lessons about I don't know what, the only thing I can say is that "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" (la ignorancia es atrevida).

Whats funny is that I reccommended a Corsair too they not sending me nothing. You sit here and post your links all day and never fully read anyones question you just post some nonesense and post a few links for the most expensive you can find.

Even before Antec sent me two products which are great but, I have always recommended Antec units I have been using Antec for some 10+ years now. And hmm who makes the TP 750 New oh thats right Seasonic LOL. And if you look at my review for the Antec TP I also state that the units from Antec that were manufactured by Seasonic are of much better quality then other manufactures.
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 8:34:22 AM

I don't have any present for you, Saaiello, so I don't expect anything from you.

The last thing that I would like to say is that people like you are a shame (you are not alone, there are more people cheating as you do in many forums).
Don't try to justify what you do. There is no justification for your behaviour.
You are corrupt. Your words smell rotten.
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 12:01:00 PM

LOL at corrupt so what a company wants to give me some stuff to try to post something in their section of the forum there is nothing dirty about it. I think its great that they do that. My intentions on coming to this site is to help others with the knowledge that I have because lets face it there are alot that have no clue when it comes to computers.

Henry I am just an average working man I am not rich and really can't afford half the stuff I buy for my computers so if a company wants to send me stuff for posting on their section about one their products, I see not one problem with that. My recommendations are not swayed one way or the other I care not what I get just that people get the information they came here for and thats IT.

Sorry to the OP that your thread came to this, mods will most likely be locking this soon just get the Corsair CX400 if you can find one.
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 4:01:06 PM

Wow... Henry. You are not doing very well as a Troll. Try harder.
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 5:48:42 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Wow... Henry. You are not doing very well as a Troll. Try harder.

[:henry chinaski:9]

Anything more?

Well, everybody knows who are the trolls here.

Anyway, if you show me a post in which I have said a lie or I have made wrong recommendations or have done something nocive, I will never disturb anybody with my "toxic" advices anymore.
If my help is not appreciated, if I am a troll for the people of this forum, I will leave it. It's not my intention to upset anybody. Just let me now.

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 8:27:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Fihart
!