Sign in with
Your question

HARD SISK SETUP FOR EDITING HD VIDEO, HELP!!

Last response: in Storage
October 17, 2012 3:59:29 PM

Dear Forum.

My name is Tom Woods and I used to study on DFI and now working on a PhD, and I was hoping that you may be able to advise me or point me in the right direction, in regards to the question below.... (your time permitting) : ) Im not sure if you are in this area or not, my apologies to you if this is the case.. Here goes..

I'm getting Adobe Production Premium installed where ill be using Photoshop, After Effects, and Premier Pro, and need some advice on my current Disk Setup to maximize performance to work with editing HD 1080i video.

My question is;

"Which of my internal 'Disks', do I assign the following processes to, these processes are;

Photoshop: SCRATCH DISK

After Effects: DISK CACHE

Premier Pro: SCRATCH DISK Captured Video / SCRATCH DISK Captured Audio / SCRATCH DISK Video Previews / SCRATCH DISK Audio Previews

Premier Pro: MEDIA CACHE FILES / DATABASE

And finally the recorded Video 'parts' ready for editing, and the 'previews', and then the 'saved project file'.

My current Disk setup is:

C: SSD - 90GB (quite full)

D: SSD - still considering size to purchase

E: SSD - still considering size to purchase

F: HDD - 500 GB (currently used for all Video Parts and all work)

*Also, for drives D & E, what 'SIZE' in GB would they need to be for assigning the Scratch, Cache and other files mentioned above? (when i purchase them)*

If you can help me out with this it would be totally amazing, im really stuck and finding internet advice very unclear..

I appreciate you will be busy but I thought I would try here first for some help! Thank you so much for reading this so far...

My Best regards to you

Tom Woods

October 17, 2012 4:46:40 PM

Hi Tom, here is my 2¢ and personal experience...

Take a look at this post.
OCZ Vertex 4 - Single 256GiB versus RAID of 2 drives on X79 Platform Overclocked to 4.6 Ghz – Comparisons

As you can see the RAID drive performs better than the single SSD, at least on that system, can't say how it will perform in any other system however. But you get the idea.

I'm using a SoftPerfect ramdisk (freeware and faster than most paid software such as DataRam's) on my system to write my video files to and the render times are a few ticks faster than using my SSD (OCZ Vertex 4 128GB). Both render 1080p AVCHD files in .mts/.m2ts containers to MPEG-4 60 fps 28MB/s files in about "Real Time". Making DVDs from those HD files are a bit faster than double time.

I have 16GB of RAM and Task Manager tells me that when I'm rendering (I use PowerDirector 10) my system is using all of 3GB so I have a 10GB ramdisk setup, I'm gonna get another 16GB to max out my motherboard (my board supports 32GB). Since Blu-Ray disks are 25GB I think I'll be OK. I don't use pagefile either.

I do have 2 RAID0 arrays I have carried over from my previous computer for storage and game program folders, my motherboard only has 2 SATA3 ports and 4 SATA2 ports so it all worked out.

As for your disk size question, I suppose that would depend on how big your projects are. One thing to consider after reading some reviews here on Tom's Hardware, the larger capacity SSDs do perform better than the smaller ones.

Hope this helps.
!