Something is malfunctioning. psu, mobo or gpu?

ace123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
hi,i've made a new build and my PC worked for a day,and then it just died on me out of the blue. i was transferring all the files from my old pentium 4 pc while i was playing metro 2033 on the new pc.i have only one monitor and i was constantly pulling and switching to agp and dvi behind the monitor's interface to game/check if the transfer is finished.then all of a sudden,my haf x pc got black screen,and i tried to turn it off and it wouldnt turn off.so i had to turn off the psu and then when i tried to turn it back on,it wouldnt turn on at all,and psu kept making clicking noises. i pulled everything out of the mobo EXCEPT for one stick of ram and a cpu fan chassis.it still wouldnt post AT ALL. funny thing is,the psu from my OTHER pc wont make the mobo in the haf x case post too,with same clicking noise,but BOTH of my psu's can power the pentium 4 in my old pc,not to mention also poewr up the haf x case's fans,fan controller,graphics card,sound,etc.so is this a mobo short? did i accidentally cause a short to the motherboard via graphics card by constantly switching the monitor connection? or was it because the front usb interfaces of the haf x case isnt emi protected? i really dont know what happened here.

MY SPECS
asus p6x58d premium
2x2 corsair xms3 1600@9-9-9-24 CL9@1.65v
intel core i7 930
asus 24x dvd rw drive
corsair HX 850
sapphire radeon HD 5770
creative x fi titanium fatality champion
swiftech h20-220 apex ultima liquid cpu cooler
ocz freeze TIM
1 tb western digital caviar black 7200 rpm-64 mb cache@sata 6gbps (WD1002FAEX)
320 gb western digital scorpio@5400rpm
lamptron fc-6 fan controller with 3 200mm fans hooked in with one 120mm haf x gpu fan hooked into 4th slot,each channel at 10 watts of power

and the motherboard got rear 140mm case fan,and two 120mm swiftech radiator fans,and a swiftech mcp655 pump's pressure monitoring pin attached to the fan pin of the motherboard

one of the lamptron's temp sensors might've been touching near the top 240 rad which was pretty close to the 8 pin psu fan plug,if the temp probe touched that mobo area,what are the chances of it causing a short?

and i did my cable management via using the black wire ties u get from those component boxes when u open them fresh out of the box

what are the chances of THAT causing a fuse tho?

what was the problem with me frying the mobo,was it the temp probe part,or wire management part,or front usb ports on the haf x case part,or was it the constant monitor switching part

or this one also runs thru my mind,to be properly grounded,most cases got rubber feets

but my haf x case is on plastic wheels.

and if anyone is thinking that i havent placed the stand off screws in the right place,thats a no,i HAVE placed the stand offs in the right place,so mobo to case is properly grounded

but im wondering if the problem was from the case with usb ports being unprotected

or from the monitor that i kept plugging/unplugging

i really dont know what i did wrong,but i KNOW i havent done anything obviously wrong like plugging usb wrong way,kicking the case,touching the mobo with my bare hands,splashing it with water,etc

this is my second build,first one is running strong (pentium 4)

so what's with this fragile new tech? what did i do wrong with this?

ace123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
UPDATE:

i went to my friend's house the day after my incident and tried to run the psu and gpu off his motherboard,and my psu might have fried both his HDD that he had for his RAID0 setup

but when i ran two of my HDD on his mobo with my psu,my HDDs ran fine,and my video card works,as i can see bios and post

and i've ran that same corsair hx 850 on this pc im typing from today with no problems...so

WTH

and i've also went by to geek squad and had them use a psu tester and it read at steady voltage,so this is all too puzzling

my friend DID say that his HDDs were making a bit of whistling noise,and they are around 3~4 years

and that was BEFORE i even put his psu+gpu into his mobo and he said he've ran his pc for 2 weeks playing wow nonstop,maybe just a coincidence that his died on the eventful day i brought my psu over?

because IF my psu's 6 pin to ide power cables why wont it burn MY hdd's when i was running them

from the SAME ide power that burnt his?

and why would geek squads psu tester read stable?

the geek squad said my motherboard's capacitator might've shorted out and thats why the psu kept making clicking noise as it didnt register with the dead mobo

and he said he have NO idea how his HDD fried and that this is his first time encountering something strange as a healthy psu frying the HDD

do any of you guys share a similar tale or was my psu just NOT getting along with his stuff?

and give me a poll as to what i should do now,since amazon DID send replacement mobo even after my 30 days window expired (bought in june)

and i bought the psu around same month too

do u think i should get my psu replaced aswell or just blame my mobo and just a coincidence on my friend's parts?

and would it be pushing amazon's customer service if i ask for replacement?

i think i might've shorted the mobo out while i was constantly changing vga to dvi modes on the monitor while i was transferring files from old pc to new haf x one

but the vga is fine,and psu runs my stuffs fine too,just not his

so what should i do?