Sign in with
Your question

Driver is Mismanaging System PTEs BSOD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2010 4:34:00 PM

Hi there,

I've been getting numerous page_fault errors recently, and I ran full tests on both of my RAM sticks and found no errors. Today while playing a game, I got a BSOD that read "The_Driver_is_Mismanaging_System_PTEs"

Any clue as to what might be causing this? I'm assuming it's my graphics card, but I've tried several different versions of ATI's drivers and still gotten page faults.
a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2010 7:37:12 PM

Hello Pfbasgen,

When did this start happening exactly? Did it start happening after updating to a driver? Did it start happening when you installed/uninstalled/etc something else?

I've seen a few things online, one thing that can cause this is conflicting drivers (you used to have an nvidia card in the past/older drivers causing issues still/etc). You can use a driver cleaner to completely remove all video related drivers and then do a clean install.

Another thing I found was this:

"The problem with the PTEs was being caused by a conflict between the built in ATI 3200 HD chip on my motherboard and the new nvidia card... but it shouldn't have, right?

The reason was because in Windows XP x64 Service Pack 2 there was a bug in the videoprt.sys file. If you replace this file with the pre-service pack 2 version, everything works fine.

Good version: 5.2.3790.1830
Bad version: 5.2.3790.3959

So, if anyone else has this problem and finds this post, find the good version of that file and replace it. You'll have to replace it either from a parallel install of Windows or from a boot disk like Mini-PE or a floppy because Windows file protection won't let you replace it otherwise."

Source: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/796521.h...
m
l
June 24, 2010 12:39:33 AM

I use windows 7 64bit and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 4800.

It started happening out of nowhere about 6 months ago. And it's becoming more and more frequent. There was no hardware change. It just began happening all of a sudden.

I have a feeling it's something hardware related.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2010 12:40:23 AM

I've also received BSODs that read:

"BAD_POOL_HEADER"

"PFN_LIST_CORRUPT"

"The video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error"
m
l
May 30, 2011 2:07:33 AM

I'm Actually having the exact same Issue. Same BSOD is applying in my case. I'm Using Windows 7 with the NVIDIA GeForce GPU. These BSOD just started happening out of no where. i've completly wiped my computer and reinstalled everything and i'm still getting these BSOD.
m
l
!