PSU Amperage (image included)

I am currently using a SS-600-HT Seasonic psu with the following specifications.

Incase the picture doesnt load, the psu features a split 12v1/12v2 rail, 18AMPs per rail,totaling 32A with a total wattage of 432.

For 3 years i have been running the following configuration:
(PSU Mentioned above)
Mobo: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 8800
CPU: Intel core 2 quad q6600
RAM: Crosair DDR2 4x1GB
HD: Western Digital 320GB
Optical Drive: DVDRW Samsung 182M LightS

My 8800GTX overheated and died after close to three and half a years of flawless use. I have never experienced my computer shutting down or restarting of PSU overload.

I would like to upgrade to a MSI GTX 460 OC (i suppose i can use a non OC one) , but it is said to require 24 AMPS on the 12v rail, with a peak load of 306 watts. As far as i know the 8800 GTX has similar requirements but im currently unsure.
Can i combine the 12v rails to have 32A for both the card and cpu or are they separate?

The question: Will my psu be able to handle the new card? If not, what would you reccomend
5 answers Last reply
More about amperage image included
  1. That psu can handle the new card no problem.
  2. Excellent, thank you for your quick and simple reply!
  3. Np, your looking at 2 12v rails that should provide more than 30 amps of power. Seasonic is a very good psu manufacturer, so I don't for see any problems.
  4. Your PSU is one of the few where the maximum 12 volt power equals the sum of the rails - 36 amps, not 32 amps.
  5. Thats good to know! Thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components