How to clean install windows 7 on a new ssd if its already on old ssd and you do

jjc07us

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello,

I'd like to know how to do a clean install windows 7 on a new ssd if its already on old ssd and you do not have a boot disk?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you have a valid license, you could download an ISO from MS and burn a new install DVD. Go here to get the ISO for your version of Windows 7:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Remember, your product key will only work with the version of Windows 7 it was intended for.

jjc07us

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply COLGeek!

I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place... I do not have the license either. Windows was installed on my pc by a friend.

The reason I am asking this is because my ssd is currently full and it is running windows 7 and is currently my boot devise. I have tried to continue to use it as is but ran into some problems trying to load a game yesterday.

Right now I am compressing the disk, defragging and cleaning up to see how much space will be left. However, I'd really like to get a bigger SD drive then transfer windows onto that drive...

What would be the best way to do so? Clone the whole ssd to newer and bigger ssd? Get backup image and load it onto new ssd? I would want windows optimized and I've heard that both of the above methods may interfere..

Again, all of your help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Cheers

X3773

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
First off NEVER defrag a SSD.

Best way and the fastest for you, if have Windows 7 Pro, is to use there built in back tool to back up to a HDD then restore to your new SDD. There is no need for a key and you pick up where you left off. If you do not have Windows 7 Pro there are other free back up tools that can do the same thing.

This sounds suspicious. It doesn't matter who installed it, they should have provided install media and a COA. Without these, you can't reinstall and pass activation.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Agreed. If in doubt, the OP should simply buy a new license and then he'll be covered properly with no uncertainty.

jjc07us

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

I have Windows 7 Ultimate... I would back up to my HDD but I'm afraid when I restore to new SDD that it won't partition correctly... correct me if I'm wrong?

This is what I am planning to do tonight:

1) Burn Windows 7 Ultimate ISO to disk.
2) Bios - Make "NEW SDD" 1st boot
3) Turn off computer and connect new SDD
4) Install windows on new SDD using ISO Disk
5) Plug in old SDD once everything is working correctly and reformat it to wipe it clean of old windows. ----- WILL I NEED TO SET THIS OLD SDD UP DIFFERENTLY ON BIOS BECAUSE IT WILL ALSO HAVE WINDOWS ON IT?!

You guys have been a great help! Thank you

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes, as long as it is legal. Don't be too shocked, though, if you have trouble activating the license after the installation is complete. You may still need to purchase an additional license.

jjc07us

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
It's not pirated - I know that for a fact. I just do not have my CD Key.

@COLGeek - Thanks

Can someone enlighten me about my above methods to clean install?

Thanks

X3773

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

1) Back up your old computer.
2) Burn Windows 7 Repair to disk (Option is under the back up tool).
3) Remove the old SDD and install the new one.
4) Bios - Make CD Drive 1st boot.
5) Go through the options of the repair disk options for restoring back up.
6) After restore is done check the Bios to boot the new SDD.
7) Start your computer with the new SDD to make sure the restore worked.
8) Install the old SDD back into your computer.

As long as your Bios doesn't set the old SDD as 1st boot it should boot your new SDD.