Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why do Cases cost $30~200??

Last response: in Components
Share
October 4, 2010 6:15:57 PM

I'm new to computer building and I was just wondering why cases have such a huge price difference.

What is better about a more expensive case?

More about : cases cost 200

October 4, 2010 6:22:44 PM

Build quality, ease of use, airflow and cooling capabilities, air filtering or the lack of, cable management, and aesthetics, just to name a few
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 7:11:34 PM

I feel its similar to most comsumer items,
you can buy a decent pair of jeans for £10 or a named pair for £160, up to a point there is a quality difference but after a point its just the tag your buying.
its what people are prepared to pay so they charge it.
Moto
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 7:53:25 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I feel its similar to most comsumer items,
you can buy a decent pair of jeans for £10 or a named pair for £160, up to a point there is a quality difference but after a point its just the tag your buying.
its what people are prepared to pay so they charge it.
Moto


Ok,

$30 case:


$200 case:



Notice a difference? Build quality, cooling, cable management, size, bottom mounted PSU, innovative and helpful features, CPU backplate cutout, E-ATX, tool less...I could go on. Granted, not everybody needs a $200 case for those reasons, 95% of people are fine with their generic HP or Dell case. But for the 5% who want their features, they are the ones who want that. I personally think that the $60-140 market is where some of the best cases are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

those are just several that come to mind as the best value enthusiast cases in that price range. Beyond that, its MOSTLY just getting bigger cases.
October 4, 2010 7:58:54 PM

Coolermaster have got a decent stake in the market i think at the moment for decent mid to high ranged cases.

HAF 912, 922, 932, HAF-X
Storm Scout
Storm Sniper
Gladiator
Advanced Dominator

Well put it this way, 4 outta 6 of the cases above are Coolermaster, they just produce some of the finest cases.

Not saying NZXT, Antec, Lan-Wi etc are obsolete, but most people i speak to go for a Coolermaster case of some sort due to their build quality and rugged good looks and features.
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2010 8:03:55 PM

reccy said:
Coolermaster have got a decent stake in the market i think at the moment for decent mid to high ranged cases.

HAF 912, 922, 932, HAF-X
Storm Scout
Storm Sniper
Gladiator
Advanced Dominator

Well put it this way, 4 outta 6 of the cases above are Coolermaster, they just produce some of the finest cases.

Not saying NZXT, Antec, Lan-Wi etc are obsolete, but most people i speak to go for a Coolermaster case of some sort due to their build quality and rugged good looks and features.


CM needs some new cases though already. 2011, all gaming cases will be in the "Storm" family, so hopefully we will see some new cases at the higher levels from them pretty soon. Although HAF X is likely the best high end case for the money, HAF 932 is still one of the best cases below $150, and has reigned for almost as long as the i7, and the HAF 922 has some serious value, with the 912 having some SERIOUS value. So they really dont need to change much, but new cases are always nice :lol: 
October 4, 2010 8:08:06 PM

I was ment to have the HAF 912 (loved the all black look) but the buggers ran out of stock straight away so they gave me the HAF 922 for the same price (£20 Off)

Not complaining, have the 200mm Exshaust fan sucking literally all the air out of the system, and a Coolermaster 200mm Side fan Sucking all the oxygen from the room into the case hahaha, the two other 140mm fans havent a clue what to do hahahaha
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 6:31:52 AM

Ares, I agree with your first post, although it maybe was a little unfair to use such extremes as examples
Maybe Jeans were a bad analogy, perhaps I should've used cars :p 

You pay $30, you get bog standard tin box, you pay a bit more you get maybe a titanium box with thoughtful design and handy features, that much is true and I do see the benefit of paying for quality, but what I was objecting to is that you can have a reasonably featured case for say $80, and a similar featured one for $280, its the 'what exactly is my extra $200 buying?'question, and often I fear it is just the name, or because its the 'in' gaming case.
I agree the point cheaping out is cheating yourself (Or clients) but as I said, after a point, its just the tag and if people will pay over the odds to have xxx case/car/watch, the manufacturers WILL charge it.
Moto
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 12:02:42 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ares, I agree with your first post, although it maybe was a little unfair to use such extremes as examples
Maybe Jeans were a bad analogy, perhaps I should've used cars :p 

You pay $30, you get bog standard tin box, you pay a bit more you get maybe a titanium box with thoughtful design and handy features, that much is true and I do see the benefit of paying for quality, but what I was objecting to is that you can have a reasonably featured case for say $80, and a similar featured one for $280, its the 'what exactly is my extra $200 buying?'question, and often I fear it is just the name, or because its the 'in' gaming case.
I agree the point cheaping out is cheating yourself (Or clients) but as I said, after a point, its just the tag and if people will pay over the odds to have xxx case/car/watch, the manufacturers WILL charge it.
Moto


Well, if it was a feature and performance basis, the HAF X should likely be $300. All the good features of the Obsidian, but with some actual air cooling. And USB 3.0 on front panel. But its only at $200, so i actually think for what it is in this market it isnt priced that bad. However, id generally say the case shouldnt be more than 1/10 or 1/15 of the whole build, $60-150 is generally the range i say you can find a good case for your needs. Above that, its name, aluminum, size, and ultra features, below its off gray interiors, 1 fan, and top mounted PSU's for the most part. Rosewill helps down there though.
!