Sign in with
Your question

Wierd stuff

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2010 7:21:05 PM

Ok, so, crossfired two 5770s about a week ago. Had to swap psus. Previous one was a Kingwin Mach 1 600w
New one is my friends Corsair 650tx. Thinking that might work, I'm not sure if it really is working.

I like to overclock my cards, and with only one card I got all the clocks maxed on Overdrive without any problems or artifacting.
Now I put to cards in, tried overclocking, and got a whole different story.
Whenever I play a game when both cards over clocked slightly (were talking 920 core and 1350 memory). I play for about 30 minutes, whole computer freezes (not just the game) and I can't get into task manager or anything, no alt tab. Nothing. Then after about 30 seconds of that, whole computer shuts off, and reboots.

So, I lowered my clocks a little, and it worked. Kindah made me mad, but the anger is just getting started.

I bought FarCry 2 over steam not to long ago. Finished installing, I played the game when into the display options and saw there was no Dx10 option at all. Thinking that wasnt a huge deal I started a campaign. When it started, the whole sky was lit up with a intense white HDR-sun-thing that lit up like a Christmas tree. It was surely a graphical error, no doubt about it. So, farcry 2 doesn't work.

Bought Crysis and Crysis Warhead over steam. Started playing crysis warhead (remember I downclocked everything to 850 core and 1300 memory) and the trees acquired this weird artifacting. It was very shiny, but I saw black particles popping out from everywhere on the tree branch. Not only to the trees have something odd with them, but when I look off into the distance in the game, the trees and grass have RIDICULOUS stuttering, like there in a fast shutter thing or something. Sometimes I'll get my map to show up on the game it self and not my HUD. What's up with that?

So I'm asking a couple questions.

1. For overclocking issue, Do I need a new power supply? There not unstable overclocks, and I'm sure that these cards can handle the overclocks I put onto them, especially with one 5770 I maxed out all the clocks with no artifacting what so ever.

2. Are these graphical errors signs of faulty cards? Or driver issues? I'm using the latest Catalyst 10.6 drivers, witch even indicates on the drivers features that is increases preformance on Crysis Warhead.

Sorry for the long description, just wanted you guys to know the sit-rep.

Thanks!

More about : wierd stuff

June 23, 2010 7:51:09 PM

Is Catalyst AI disabled? Is Adaptive anti-aliasing (also in CCC) enabled? The former is required for Crossfire to be enabled by the drivers, the latter has caused serious graphical issues in games for me and my wife until disabled.

Did you test both PCI-E slots on their own to be sure you don't have a faulty slot?

Are both 6+2pin power connectors from the same bundle of wires? I am not familiar with this PSU enough to know if it is modular or not. If both 6+2pin power connectors are from the rail, you may need to use a molex from a different bunch, and a converter to 6pin for the card. Perhaps both cards on the same rail is too much?

What is the rest of your system? I wouldn't think a 650tx would have issues with 2x5770s, but the rest of your system might be part of the issue, if indeed power supply is to blame.

And of course, there is always the ubiquitous suggestion: Before you spend any more money, try a reinstallation of your operating system (I assume Vista or 7 since you were expecting DX10 to appear). Sometimes a good old Format/reinstall is the best answer. I don't know how many times I have fruitlessly attempted to fix an issue only to be left with OS installation as the last option.

Now when I work on someone's computer, I tell them to back up everything they want to keep before I take posession. I START with a format/reinstall now, since it is the quickest way to identify whether an issue is from software or hardware.
m
l
June 23, 2010 8:10:29 PM

JofaMang said:
Is Catalyst AI disabled? Is Adaptive anti-aliasing (also in CCC) enabled? The former is required for Crossfire to be enabled by the drivers, the latter has caused serious graphical issues in games for me and my wife until disabled.

Did you test both PCI-E slots on their own to be sure you don't have a faulty slot?

Are both 6+2pin power connectors from the same bundle of wires? I am not familiar with this PSU enough to know if it is modular or not. If both 6+2pin power connectors are from the rail, you may need to use a molex from a different bunch, and a converter to 6pin for the card. Perhaps both cards on the same rail is too much?

What is the rest of your system? I wouldn't think a 650tx would have issues with 2x5770s, but the rest of your system might be part of the issue, if indeed power supply is to blame.

And of course, there is always the ubiquitous suggestion: Before you spend any more money, try a reinstallation of your operating system (I assume Vista or 7 since you were expecting DX10 to appear). Sometimes a good old Format/reinstall is the best answer. I don't know how many times I have fruitlessly attempted to fix an issue only to be left with OS installation as the last option.

Now when I work on someone's computer, I tell them to back up everything they want to keep before I take posession. I START with a format/reinstall now, since it is the quickest way to identify whether an issue is from software or hardware.

It is not a modular power supply, both PCI-E slots are not faulty I'm sure. I have not tried disableing Catalsy AI, so that will be my next try.

My system specs are:
PC Specs:
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard
2 XFX 5770's CrossfireX Enabled
AMD Phenom II X4 2.8 ghz cpu (O.C. to 3.0 ghz)
XIGMATEK BALDER SD1283 120mm Long Life CPU Cooler
Corsair 650 watt
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB HDD
G-Skill RIPJAWS 2 gb 1600
NZXT m59 all black case
Windows 7 Home Premium
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2010 8:40:01 PM

Have you tested both PCI-E slots independently of each other? Faulty doesn't mean it will fail completely, but if there is a hardware issue, it may cause a limitation that only occurs under specific circumstances. If you haven't tested each slot independently, then you can't know.
m
l
June 23, 2010 9:05:50 PM

JofaMang said:
Have you tested both PCI-E slots independently of each other? Faulty doesn't mean it will fail completely, but if there is a hardware issue, it may cause a limitation that only occurs under specific circumstances. If you haven't tested each slot independently, then you can't know.

I have not tried that. I did try disabling catalyst AI and this did fix Crysis Warhead, but I get lower frame rates from when it was in Catalyst AI.
m
l
June 23, 2010 9:22:15 PM

Catalyst AI is required for crossfire to be enabled at the driver level. It should not be disabled (is a negative check mark) when attempting crossfire. Thus, by disabling it, you are only using the top slot card, which is why it is lower framerate, but gets rid of the bugs. I was just asking to make sure that it wasn't disabled for whatever reason.
m
l
June 24, 2010 12:58:02 AM

Oh lol. No its not disabled.
m
l
!