Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Realtek vs. Ventrilo -- FIGHT!

Last response: in Components
October 4, 2010 7:17:08 PM

Hello,

I just bought this computer with Win7 and Realtek HD. I use Ventrilo to communicate online with fellow gamers and friends around the world -- but since boot Ventrilo will periodically freeze locally, as well as cause the whole mixer to freeze. As well, I cannot use my mic, as it causes an instant crash to the program. Fiddling with Vent's setting have done nothing to fix the problem. I get the error message "Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device. DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed. HR=DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use"

I thought Realtek had integrated codecs for Direct Sound?

If anyone could shed some light on the issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

More about : realtek ventrilo fight

October 5, 2010 12:21:23 AM

Are your drivers up to date?
October 5, 2010 3:58:08 AM

Run a directx diagnostic
enter dxdiag in run window
Related resources
October 5, 2010 4:09:30 AM

popatim said:
Are your drivers up to date?

Yes, brand new computer and updated all drivers after unboxing.
October 5, 2010 4:13:27 AM

davcon said:
Run a directx diagnostic
enter dxdiag in run window

Diagnostic reports everything working a-okay. Is there something in particular I should be looking for?
October 5, 2010 12:07:50 PM

People still use Ventrillo? Teamspeak is better at handling more connections...

Anyways, I find it odd they continue to use directsound in Windows 7; i'm surprised a program that handles audio streams hasn't moved to OpenAL, or at least XAudio2 for windows 7...
October 5, 2010 1:06:56 PM

I had a similar problem a while back when using Ventrillo. IIRC I think I had a choice of two options in the audio settings a) Realtek or b) DirectSound Device - or something like those. Anyway switching the audio deveice I was using seemed to do the job.

Maybe you have a choice and this will work for you. Moved to TS3 a while back and much prefer it - although I do miss the in game overlay..
October 5, 2010 6:18:23 PM

gamerk316 said:
People still use Ventrillo? Teamspeak is better at handling more connections...

The vast majority of people in the games I play use Vent -- no personal preference myself, but I can't force everyone to switch just for me. ^^

October 20, 2011 9:50:59 PM

Frostizzle said:
Hello,

I just bought this computer with Win7 and Realtek HD. I use Ventrilo to communicate online with fellow gamers and friends around the world -- but since boot Ventrilo will periodically freeze locally, as well as cause the whole mixer to freeze. As well, I cannot use my mic, as it causes an instant crash to the program. Fiddling with Vent's setting have done nothing to fix the problem. I get the error message "Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device. DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed. HR=DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use"

I thought Realtek had integrated codecs for Direct Sound?

If anyone could shed some light on the issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've been having this problem and found that if you open up Realtek sound manager, click the folder icon to the top right of the window (above ANALOG and below "Device advanced settings"), and then select AC97 Front Panel instead of HD Audio Front Panel, it fixes ventrilo.

Fixed my problem, but I hope that it doesn't cause any issues with my other apps.
October 24, 2011 7:53:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!