Unable to configure a raid controller in my buds system.. ..

A buddy of mine has been buying different pieces and parts that he
finds on sale for a upgraded system. He brought them all to me for
assembly and to install XP Pro, his programs, his games, etc.

The problem comes with a device listed as a raid controller, it's
looking to install the 'Promise Sata Console SCSI Processor', but of
course it's not finding a driver for it. Looking to Asus for the
answer I get this...

"Windows XP has that driver in its driver database, but you have to
install it manually. In Device Manager, select update driver to that
SCSI processor device. Let Windows show all the hardware categories
list and select "SCSI and RAID Controller". In the following window,
choose "Promise Technologies" at left and choose "Promise SATA console
SCSI processor device" from right. That is the driver you need."

....except that it's not in the drivers database with XP and the only
thing that shows, when doing the above, is a Promise IDE controller,
that's it.

I've been to MS website to download the driver using the autoupdate
freature which you can update hardware with. Following the
instructions listed there, I came to the list of companys to choose
from and Promise Technologies isn't amoung them. Surprise.

I'm at a loss. Please help me resolve this issue so I can give my bud
his computer, fully functional and properly installed.

Many thanks.

Just_pissing_in_the_wind@the_edge_of_the_world_without_a.net
5 answers Last reply
More about unable configure raid controller buds system

    Asus, if that's the manufacturer or the Motherboard should have the
    driver you need.
    <Just_pissing_in_the_wind@the_edge_of_the_world_without_a.net> wrote in
    message news:tq6271543fhvmonrq3qsu8g412kp5goq0b@4ax.com...
    >A buddy of mine has been buying different pieces and parts that he
    > finds on sale for a upgraded system. He brought them all to me for
    > assembly and to install XP Pro, his programs, his games, etc.
    >
    > The problem comes with a device listed as a raid controller, it's
    > looking to install the 'Promise Sata Console SCSI Processor', but of
    > course it's not finding a driver for it. Looking to Asus for the
    > answer I get this...
    >
    > "Windows XP has that driver in its driver database, but you have to
    > install it manually. In Device Manager, select update driver to that
    > SCSI processor device. Let Windows show all the hardware categories
    > list and select "SCSI and RAID Controller". In the following window,
    > choose "Promise Technologies" at left and choose "Promise SATA console
    > SCSI processor device" from right. That is the driver you need."
    >
    > ...except that it's not in the drivers database with XP and the only
    > thing that shows, when doing the above, is a Promise IDE controller,
    > that's it.
    >
    > I've been to MS website to download the driver using the autoupdate
    > freature which you can update hardware with. Following the
    > instructions listed there, I came to the list of companys to choose
    > from and Promise Technologies isn't amoung them. Surprise.
    >
    > I'm at a loss. Please help me resolve this issue so I can give my bud
    > his computer, fully functional and properly installed.
    >

    > Many thanks.
    >

    > Just_pissing_in_the_wind@the_edge_of_the_world_without_a.net

    Got to Promise website and download the driver to a floppy. You will need it
    if you ever reinstall windows.

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:28:09 GMT, "Rich Barry"
    <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote:

    > Asus, if that's the manufacturer or the Motherboard should have the
    >driver you need.

    >> The problem comes with a device listed as a raid controller, it's
    >> looking to install the 'Promise Sata Console SCSI Processor', but of
    >> course it's not finding a driver for it. Looking to Asus for the
    >> answer I get this...
    >>
    >> "Windows XP has that driver in its driver database, but you have to
    >> install it manually. In Device Manager, select update driver to that
    >> SCSI processor device. Let Windows show all the hardware categories
    >> list and select "SCSI and RAID Controller". In the following window,
    >> choose "Promise Technologies" at left and choose "Promise SATA console
    >> SCSI processor device" from right. That is the driver you need."

    Asus insists that it's a windows driver and I should look there for
    the resolution.

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:36:07 -0400, "Marty" <prinpost@tampabay.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Got to Promise website and download the driver to a floppy. You will need it
    >if you ever reinstall windows.

    According to Promise's website, when attempting to download this
    specific driver from them..

    " Promise Technology is committed to providing high quality service
    and support to its customers. Our technical support is limited to
    Promise branded retail products. Different OEM manufacturers may have
    made unique modifications to the Promise hardware or software and they
    are responsible for supporting their products.
    Promise does not offer support on any of the following:

    • Controllers sold under another vendors' name
    • Systems such as those from Dell, Gateway, Micron, NEC, Fujitsu or
    others that may include a Promise controller
    • Motherboards which have an embedded Promise controller

    If you have purchased any of the products listed above, please
    contact the vendor from whom you purchased the product for technical
    support."

    ...which sends me back to Asus, which insist that..

    "Windows XP has that driver in its driver database, but you have to
    install it manually. In Device Manager, select update driver to that
    SCSI processor device. Let Windows show all the hardware categories
    list and select "SCSI and RAID Controller". In the following window,
    choose "Promise Technologies" at left and choose "Promise SATA console
    SCSI processor device" from right. That is the driver you need."

    ...I need to find a way of getting the driver off the windows
    installation disk or from their website. I'd settel for either.

    "Just_pissing_in_the_wind" wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:36:07 -0400, "Marty"
    > <prinpost@tampabay.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Got to Promise website and download the driver to a floppy.
    > You will need it
    > >if you ever reinstall windows.
    > >

    > According to Promise's website, when attempting to download
    > this
    > specific driver from them..
    >

    > " Promise Technology is committed to providing high quality
    > service
    > and support to its customers. Our technical support is limited
    > Promise branded retail products. Different OEM manufacturers
    > may have
    > made unique modifications to the Promise hardware or software
    > and they
    > are responsible for supporting their products.
    > Promise does not offer support on any of the following:
    >
    > • Controllers sold under another vendors' name
    > • Systems such as those from Dell, Gateway, Micron, NEC,
    > Fujitsu or
    > others that may include a Promise controller
    > • Motherboards which have an embedded Promise controller
    >

    > If you have purchased any of the products listed above,
    > please
    > contact the vendor from whom you purchased the product for
    > technical
    > support."
    >

    > ...which sends me back to Asus, which insist that..
    >

    > "Windows XP has that driver in its driver database, but you
    > have to
    > install it manually. In Device Manager, select update driver
    > to that
    > SCSI processor device. Let Windows show all the hardware
    > categories
    > list and select "SCSI and RAID Controller". In the following
    > window,
    > choose "Promise Technologies" at left and choose "Promise SATA
    > console
    > SCSI processor device" from right. That is the driver you
    > need."
    >

    > ...I need to find a way of getting the driver off the windows
    > installation disk or from their website. I'd settel for
    > either.

    Right click on device; Update Driver; no, not this time on windows
    update search; Install from specific location; Don’t search, select
    device to install; Promise Technology; Promise SATA Console SCSI
    Processor. This has worked every time I have Installed/Reinstalled
    the Controller in XP. :wink: :wink: :wink:

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Unable-configure-raid-controller-buds-system-ve-ftopict366572.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1197409

Configuration NAS / RAID Controller Windows XP