Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Getting ready to build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2010 8:43:51 AM

Hi Toms getting ready to buy all my parts for a new computer. Going to be doing gaming, photoshop, downloading and lots of office (powerpoint, excel, etc...) So I wanted to get a opinion... upgrading down the road (that's the reason for the particular mobo I choose )......I have a monitor, and hard drive. Just want some opinions. Thanks

Currently have
Monitor - Samsung syncmaster p2250
SSD - Kingston 128gb ssd hdd

Going to buy.....

CPU - AMD Phenom II x6 1055t 2.8ghz
Mobo - Asus crosshair iv formula
GPU - Diamond radeon hd 5750 pcie 1 gb
PSU - Corsair cmpsu 750tx
Case - Cooler master rc 922m
Memory - G skill ddr3 pc-31333 (4 gb) or ripjaws (4gb)
1tb hdd undecided
dud- undecided

More about : ready build

July 31, 2010 9:02:02 AM

Well if u already had bough those stuff then this is academic:

I would have really gone with a 23-24" Full HD LCD and a 60GB Sandforce based SSD but oh well :p 

Now to the meat and potatoes

Your 21.5" is still Full HD and at 1st glance your config is mobo heavy and perhaps a wee bit less on case in order to hit harder the most important piece of h/w for Full HD gaming: the GPU!

Suggested changes

1. 870 chipset
2. Corsair/XFX/Antec 650
3. GTX 460 at least
4. Get an aftermarket cooler ^^
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 9:09:34 AM

Corsair 750TX is a bit outdated now. At that power range you have the Antec TP-750, partly modular and just a bit more, or the Silverstone Strider Plus, a few bucks more than the Antec and fully modular.

Moving up to the very best, you have the Corsair HX750, not too much more after rebate, or the most expensive and top-notch Seasonic X-750.

The Antec and Seasonic are built by Seasonic of course, the Silverstone built by Enhance, and the Corsair built by Channel Well Tech (as is the 750TX).
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 31, 2010 6:30:22 PM

A 6 core processor is not very good unless you will normally use all the cores. For your usage, 4 cores is plenty and I like the i5-750 better.
Check out the comparison benchmarks / reviews.

For photoshop, consider 8gb of ram for performance.

Don't spend more on a motherboard than you have to. Do not plan on Crossfire as an upgrade. It is better to sell the old card and buy a stronger card if you ever need it.

Agree with other posters. XFX 650w unit is a great psu.

If you love the case, then ok, get it.

Otherwise look at the Antec 300 illusion model at less than half the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 7:57:49 PM

Thanks all I will work thease suggestions into my final decision!! Will let you all know in a couple of days...
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 9:25:03 PM

Proximon said:
Absolutely right, if you can get past the looks :p 


Yea that neon green is... yea...
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 9:42:01 PM

Proximon said:
Absolutely right, if you can get past the looks :p 

++^

Is it as bad in the flesh as it looks?



m
0
l
August 1, 2010 6:41:40 PM

Looking at amd 1055t with a gigabyte 890 gpa- ud3h

or

i5-750 with a comparable mother board neef suggestions on mobo for 1-5
m
0
l
August 1, 2010 8:01:09 PM

geofelt said:
A 6 core processor is not very good unless you will normally use all the cores. For your usage, 4 cores is plenty and I like the i5-750 better.
Check out the comparison benchmarks / reviews.

For photoshop, consider 8gb of ram for performance.

Don't spend more on a motherboard than you have to. Do not plan on Crossfire as an upgrade. It is better to sell the old card and buy a stronger card if you ever need it.

Agree with other posters. XFX 650w unit is a great psu.

If you love the case, then ok, get it.

Otherwise look at the Antec 300 illusion model at less than half the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Hi so can you give me a mobo recommendation for the I5 -750 you suggested?? Also struggling with a gpu card a diamond 5750 or 5770 or a 5850 I'm just not sure being a light starcraft player...

ive narrowed down to
1055t with gigabyte 890-gpa ud3h

or

I5-750 with a comparable mobo to above...
m
0
l
August 1, 2010 11:27:34 PM

Proximon said:
We need a monitor resolution before we can say what video card you need.

Most of the combo deal are missing from newegg right now, because it's the first of the month.
Here is a decent deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...



1920x1080 resolution

Looking at this combo after going to frys

I5-750 with GA p55 aud3 or asus p7p55d mobo
or
amd phenom x4 965 with gigabyte 890 gpa udh3
m
0
l
August 1, 2010 11:29:23 PM

For the i5-750 motherboard:
ASUS P7P55-E:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P LGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are $150 boards which include 6gb sata and usb3.0.
You can go a bit cheaper if you omit 6gb sata and USB3.0, but I think both features will be useful with faster SSD devices and backup devices in the next year or two.

With a 1080P monitor, something like a 5850 or GTX460-1gb would be appropriate in general.
I can't speak to Starcraft explicitly.
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 12:43:22 AM

Thank you so many choices....
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 1:11:25 AM

geofelt said:
For the i5-750 motherboard:
ASUS P7P55-E:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P LGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are $150 boards which include 6gb sata and usb3.0.
You can go a bit cheaper if you omit 6gb sata and USB3.0, but I think both features will be useful with faster SSD devices and backup devices in the next year or two.

With a 1080P monitor, something like a 5850 or GTX460-1gb would be appropriate in general.
I can't speak to Starcraft explicitly.



I know you guys are recommending the gt460 but im going to purchase soon i have narrowed to a diamond 5770 or xfx raedon hd 5770
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 2:09:05 AM

Is this right ram for either of these boards???

I5-750 with GA p55 aud3 or asus p7p55d mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 3:19:56 AM

miwanuma said:
Is this right ram for either of these boards???

I5-750 with GA p55 aud3 or asus p7p55d mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL


I believe that is the correct type of ram for either motherboard.

To be absolutely certain, go to the motherboard web site and see what ram is on the QVL list for ram support.
If there is ever an issue, it is better to be using ram that is on the list.

Alternatively, go to the ram vendor's web site and access their ram configurator. It should give you a list of compatible ram parts for that motherboard.
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 4:01:17 AM

Ok guys looks like I have it here it is.... Keep in mind I have the hdd and monitor from my current equipment

Monitor- Syncmaster p2250
HDD Kingston ssd

Will be buying....

CPU- I5-750
MOBO- Asus P7P55D
PSU Corsair 650hx
Case- Cooler Master 922
GPU- xfx Radeon HD 5770
MEMORY- Ripjaw 4gb to start ddr3 1600 OR 1333
CPU Cooler- Corsair H50 (cwch50-1)

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP....
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 4:26:29 AM

If you wanted crossfire capability that board won't do it. Neither of the boards geofelt linked are CF boards.
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 4:33:55 AM

Proximon said:
If you wanted crossfire capability that board won't do it. Neither of the boards geofelt linked are CF boards.



aNY SUGGESTIONS???
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 6:30:27 AM

Im sorry I thought i listed that board

CPU- I5-750
MOBO- Asus P7P55D
PSU Corsair 650hx
Case- Cooler Master 922
GPU- xfx Radeon HD 5770
MEMORY- Ripjaw 4gb to start ddr3 1600 OR 1333
CPU Cooler- Corsair H50 (cwch50-1)
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 6:45:59 AM

Best answer selected by miwanuma.
m
0
l