Tags:
  • New Build
  • Windows 7
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2010 9:18:31 AM

I have recently built myself a computer, for the first time, and am having no luck in getting Win 7 to install. As the parts for my PC all arrived home before the copy of Win 7 (all ordered online), I decided to install an old copy of XP, only 32 bit, in the meantime. My new copy of Windows 7 (OEM) has now come home, and I have decided to install it on a second hard drive, to retain XP for backward compatibility, and because I've already been usin git and have around 60Gb of stuff on there already. So here's what I tried to do.

I have 2 hard drives in this PC, one of which I had left clear, purely for installing Windows 7. I used XP to format it to NTFS, though. I put in my Win 7 disk, and a message comes up, saying 'This installation disk isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disk. For more information, check your computer system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, then select Custom (advanced)' I'm guessing this is referring to the fact that I'm running 32 bit XP, and trying to install 64 bit 7...?

I then tried booting from the Win 7 disk, and the 'Windows is loading your files' bar appears at the bottom, loads fine, the 4 colored dots appear, form the Windows logo, and then... the windows 7 background appears, with the mouse pointer hovering in the middle. I can move the mouse around, but everything else, no luck. No combination of keys/mouse clicks I know (which isn't much, mind) works.

I then tried opening up my PC, and unplugging the XP containing Hard drive, so I would only be left with the clean one. Still, same result. I'm now kind of stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:
Asus M4N72-E mobo
AMD Phenom II 945 (I think)
4Gb DDR2 RAM
PNY GeForce GTS 250
1Tb HDD (Contains XP)
320Gb HDD (Trying to install Win 7 to)
680W PSU

None of which is overclocked.

More about : windows install

July 31, 2010 10:01:32 AM

blootack said:

I then tried booting from the Win 7 disk, and the 'Windows is loading your files' bar appears at the bottom, loads fine, the 4 colored dots appear, form the Windows logo, and then... the windows 7 background appears, with the mouse pointer hovering in the middle. I can move the mouse around, but everything else, no luck. No combination of keys/mouse clicks I know (which isn't much, mind) works.

Be patient, wait about 10 minutes at this step.
a b $ Windows 7
July 31, 2010 10:27:12 AM

Exactly, that step can take a while.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 31, 2010 10:39:08 AM

As banthracis said it can take a while to complete that step. But back to the original problem use the Windows 7 disk to partition and format the hard drive The Windows 7 NTFS format is slightly changed from the Windows XP format.
July 31, 2010 1:57:07 PM

I ran across this too the first time I loaded Windows 7, he he. I was sure my system had locked up. Just wait it out, you will stare at the background for a while. Just wait it out.

Glad I wasn't the only one befuddled.
!