Sign in with
Your question

How to identify the operating system on a hard disk

Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2012 12:26:57 AM

Hello,
I was given six old hard drives, some have data on them and some I have reformatted using an external docking station. I suspect that the hard drives with data on them may contain an operating system. Using my external docking station, is there some way to determine if these disks have an O/S on them, and which O/S?
a b G Storage
October 18, 2012 12:47:20 AM

open and explore the files
m
l
a b G Storage
October 18, 2012 12:49:24 AM

You wouldn't be able to use the installed O/S anyway, if that is you aim. The O/S won't work unless it recognizes the equipment it was originally installed on.
m
l
Related resources
a c 288 G Storage
October 19, 2012 11:10:00 AM

If it's a Microsoft OS, locate the command.com (\Windows folder) or cmd.exe file (Windows\System32) and examine its date/time stamp.

You could also open the above files in a text editor (eg Wordpad) and search for "Microsoft".
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
October 19, 2012 1:39:45 PM

clutchc said:
You wouldn't be able to use the installed O/S anyway, if that is you aim. The O/S won't work unless it recognizes the equipment it was originally installed on.

That ^ is true. Only thing you can do is find out what OS is on the drives for curiosity. If you just plug them into a computer and try to use them, 95% of the time they will crash.
m
l
!