Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Setting up hdd as primary drive with ssd as boot drive

Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2012 12:47:54 AM

Hey I recently built a pc and have a 120 gb ssd and 1 terabyte hdd. I already had the OS on the ssd which i wanted but everything else saved on it also. For example if i dragged a file from a flash drive to the desktop screen it would automatically be on the ssd drive. I found a video that seemed to be attempting to fix this and tried doing what it said (in the bios using command prompt and robocopy to somehow switch which drive automatically stored everything). Either it didn't work or I messed up cause i lost everything cause i messed up my users folder so i couldn't open my user account which was both the only user account i had and the admin. so now im seeing if there is any other way. So if there is a video you could point me to or another thread that I missed (cause i did look for a thread about this) it would be much appreciated. Thank you

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 18, 2012 5:56:41 AM

Best thing to do is move your Program Files and Users directories to the other drive.

Program Files:
~----=====----~
1) Create a new program files folder @ the desired location.

2) Type “regedit” in the windows start menu search box and hit enter to continue.

3) Navigate to the following registry key in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

4) Locate the value named “ProgramFilesDir” and change the default value “C:\Program Files” to your new directory path (address).

5) Close the registry editor and reboot your system to apply the change.

-=Change /%Users% folder: =-

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move [...] -windows-7
October 18, 2012 6:35:59 AM

Thank you very much also i was wondering should i do the same thing for
program files (x86)
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 18, 2012 6:39:06 AM

Yes.
m