Intel Extreme Graphics 2 - can't start UT2004

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2004 5:04:27 AM

Don't laugh. I know it's a joke, but it's just temporary.

Will UT2004 even run using the onboard video? I'm using the latest chipset
drivers 6.14.10.3865, and DirectX 9.0b.

UT2004 won't start, and tells me to enable Direct3D acceleration. Under
dxdiag, the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration are all 'not
available'.

This article on sharky extreme
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/arti...
has UT2004 running on the i865G chipset - albeit at about 15 fps.

Any ideas?

Thanks

System specs
-----------------------------------
mobo: Intel D865GLC
cpu: Intel P4, 2.0A ghz, 400 system bus, 512k L2 cache
ram: Crucial 512mb PC-2700 (2x256)
disk 0: Hitachi 80gb SATA/150, model HDS722580VLSA80, 8mb buffer
accessory: Zalman CPU cooler - CNPS7000A-AlCu
power supply: PC Power & Cooling 310ATX Silencer
DVD player: ASUS E616P 16x DVD-ROM
display: Samsung 17" SyncMaster 753DF
mouse: Logitech USB cordless wheel mouse
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 2:36:13 PM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:04:27 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Don't laugh. I know it's a joke, but it's just temporary.
>
>Will UT2004 even run using the onboard video? I'm using the latest chipset
>drivers 6.14.10.3865, and DirectX 9.0b.
>
>UT2004 won't start, and tells me to enable Direct3D acceleration. Under
>dxdiag, the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration are all 'not
>available'.
>
>This article on sharky extreme
>http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/arti...
>has UT2004 running on the i865G chipset - albeit at about 15 fps.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>

>System specs
>-----------------------------------
>mobo: Intel D865GLC
>cpu: Intel P4, 2.0A ghz, 400 system bus, 512k L2 cache
>ram: Crucial 512mb PC-2700 (2x256)
>disk 0: Hitachi 80gb SATA/150, model HDS722580VLSA80, 8mb buffer
>accessory: Zalman CPU cooler - CNPS7000A-AlCu
>power supply: PC Power & Cooling 310ATX Silencer
>DVD player: ASUS E616P 16x DVD-ROM
>display: Samsung 17" SyncMaster 753DF
>mouse: Logitech USB cordless wheel mouse

You say it's temporary, so I'm assuming you had a discrete graphics
card in at some point. Maybe there's some driver residue left behind?
Until dxdiag gets happy, you won't be able to run anything 3D related.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 6:39:38 PM

DFS wrote:

> Don't laugh. I know it's a joke, but it's just temporary.
>
> Will UT2004 even run using the onboard video? I'm using the latest chipset
> drivers 6.14.10.3865, and DirectX 9.0b.
>
> UT2004 won't start, and tells me to enable Direct3D acceleration. Under
> dxdiag, the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration are all 'not
> available'.

You might want to try changing UT2004 to use Software mode; it will
probably run better than trying to use D3D on that video device.

In UT2004.ini, under [Engine.Engine], comment out the current
RenderDevice and add

RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice
August 9, 2004 12:18:15 AM

Folk wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:04:27 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't laugh. I know it's a joke, but it's just temporary.
>>
>> Will UT2004 even run using the onboard video? I'm using the latest
>> chipset drivers 6.14.10.3865, and DirectX 9.0b.
>>
>> UT2004 won't start, and tells me to enable Direct3D acceleration.
>> Under dxdiag, the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration
>> are all 'not available'.
>>
>> This article on sharky extreme

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/arti...
>> has UT2004 running on the i865G chipset - albeit at about 15 fps.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> System specs
>> -----------------------------------
>> mobo: Intel D865GLC
>> cpu: Intel P4, 2.0A ghz, 400 system bus, 512k L2 cache
>> ram: Crucial 512mb PC-2700 (2x256)
>> disk 0: Hitachi 80gb SATA/150, model HDS722580VLSA80, 8mb buffer
>> accessory: Zalman CPU cooler - CNPS7000A-AlCu
>> power supply: PC Power & Cooling 310ATX Silencer
>> DVD player: ASUS E616P 16x DVD-ROM
>> display: Samsung 17" SyncMaster 753DF
>> mouse: Logitech USB cordless wheel mouse
>

> You say it's temporary, so I'm assuming you had a discrete graphics
> card in at some point. Maybe there's some driver residue left behind?
> Until dxdiag gets happy, you won't be able to run anything 3D related.

No, never had a graphics card installed in this system. Built it myself for
"server duty". In fact, it's running WinServer2003. But it plays media
files of all types just fine. My onboard sound works OK. UT2004 is the
first real game I've tried to install.

I'm just curious to see if it will run UT2004, and at what frame rates.
August 9, 2004 12:18:16 AM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:18:15 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>No, never had a graphics card installed in this system. Built it myself for
>"server duty". In fact, it's running WinServer2003. But it plays media
>files of all types just fine. My onboard sound works OK. UT2004 is the
>first real game I've tried to install.
>
>I'm just curious to see if it will run UT2004, and at what frame rates.

If that is the same POS chipset I tried on a friends new Dell a few
months ago, it can't even run UT properly, let alone UT2004.
August 9, 2004 12:32:35 AM

Andrew wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:18:15 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> No, never had a graphics card installed in this system. Built it
>> myself for "server duty". In fact, it's running WinServer2003. But
>> it plays media files of all types just fine. My onboard sound works
>> OK. UT2004 is the first real game I've tried to install.
>>
>> I'm just curious to see if it will run UT2004, and at what frame
>> rates.
>
> If that is the same POS chipset

It's the 865G Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipset. Not a graphics powerhouse,
of course, but sufficient for lower end stuff.

> I tried on a friends new Dell a few
> months ago, it can't even run UT properly, let alone UT2004.

Do you have anything to contribute to my issue, except insults?
August 9, 2004 12:32:36 AM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:32:35 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Do you have anything to contribute to my issue, except insults?

What insult? Pardon me for sharing the experience I do have. *plonk*
August 9, 2004 6:04:38 AM

Dekaritae wrote:
> DFS wrote:
>
>> Don't laugh. I know it's a joke, but it's just temporary.
>>
>> Will UT2004 even run using the onboard video? I'm using the latest
>> chipset drivers 6.14.10.3865, and DirectX 9.0b.
>>
>> UT2004 won't start, and tells me to enable Direct3D acceleration.
>> Under dxdiag, the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration
>> are all 'not available'.
>
> You might want to try changing UT2004 to use Software mode; it will
> probably run better than trying to use D3D on that video device.
>
> In UT2004.ini, under [Engine.Engine], comment out the current
> RenderDevice and add
>
> RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice

Thanks Dekaritae.

Software rendering lets me play it (@320x240 resolution), but do you have
any idea why I can't use Direct3D hardware acceleration? As far as I know,
the 865G chipset supports it.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 2:37:59 PM

DFS wrote:

> Thanks Dekaritae.
>
> Software rendering lets me play it (@320x240 resolution), but do you have
> any idea why I can't use Direct3D hardware acceleration? As far as I know,
> the 865G chipset supports it.

Yes. Look under "Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced ->
Troubleshoot" , and make sure that hardware acceleration is set to Full.
Also try re-installing DirectX 9.0b (I can't recommend the latest
revision quite yet).

Also, check here for drivers, if you haven't already:
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009241....
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:22:52 PM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:32:35 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:18:15 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No, never had a graphics card installed in this system. Built it
>>> myself for "server duty". In fact, it's running WinServer2003. But
>>> it plays media files of all types just fine. My onboard sound works
>>> OK. UT2004 is the first real game I've tried to install.
>>>
>>> I'm just curious to see if it will run UT2004, and at what frame
>>> rates.
>>
>> If that is the same POS chipset
>
>It's the 865G Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipset. Not a graphics powerhouse,
>of course, but sufficient for lower end stuff.
>

>> I tried on a friends new Dell a few
>> months ago, it can't even run UT properly, let alone UT2004.
>
>Do you have anything to contribute to my issue, except insults?

Doubtful. I killfiltered Andrew ages ago. Now the only time I see
his spew is when someone replies, and surprise, surprise, most of the
replies read like yours.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:52:27 PM

Dekaritae wrote:
> DFS wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dekaritae.
>>
>> Software rendering lets me play it (@320x240 resolution), but do you
>> have any idea why I can't use Direct3D hardware acceleration? As
>> far as I know, the 865G chipset supports it.
>
> Yes. Look under "Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced ->
> Troubleshoot" , and make sure that hardware acceleration is set to
> Full.

That did it!

I'm running UT2004 now. I didn't check the framerates, but I played a
1-on-1 bot match a minute ago at 1024x768 with all normal settings and it
ran just fine. Looked great, and had very little lag.

On medium difficulty (or whatever the default was), I killed the bot 5 times
in a row.

> Also try re-installing DirectX 9.0b (I can't recommend the
> latest revision quite yet).

The next thing I was going to try was actually downgrading to DirectX 8, as
this Intel site
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel865g/sb/CS-0...
says not all 9.0 features are supported.

> Also, check here for drivers, if you haven't already:
> http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009241....

I got the latest drivers a few days ago.

I'm good to go on UT2004. I'm gonna try out Doom3 next. I'll be surprised
if it plays, but it might.

Thanks very much.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:13:50 AM

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:18:15 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Folk wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:04:27 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Don't laugh. I know it's a joke, but it's just temporary.
>>>
>>> Will UT2004 even run using the onboard video? I'm using the latest
>>> chipset drivers 6.14.10.3865, and DirectX 9.0b.
>>>
>>> UT2004 won't start, and tells me to enable Direct3D acceleration.
>>> Under dxdiag, the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration
>>> are all 'not available'.
>>>
>>> This article on sharky extreme
>>>
>http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/arti...
>>> has UT2004 running on the i865G chipset - albeit at about 15 fps.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> System specs
>>> -----------------------------------
>>> mobo: Intel D865GLC
>>> cpu: Intel P4, 2.0A ghz, 400 system bus, 512k L2 cache
>>> ram: Crucial 512mb PC-2700 (2x256)
>>> disk 0: Hitachi 80gb SATA/150, model HDS722580VLSA80, 8mb buffer
>>> accessory: Zalman CPU cooler - CNPS7000A-AlCu
>>> power supply: PC Power & Cooling 310ATX Silencer
>>> DVD player: ASUS E616P 16x DVD-ROM
>>> display: Samsung 17" SyncMaster 753DF
>>> mouse: Logitech USB cordless wheel mouse
>>

>> You say it's temporary, so I'm assuming you had a discrete graphics
>> card in at some point. Maybe there's some driver residue left behind?
>> Until dxdiag gets happy, you won't be able to run anything 3D related.
>
>No, never had a graphics card installed in this system. Built it myself for
>"server duty". In fact, it's running WinServer2003. But it plays media
>files of all types just fine. My onboard sound works OK. UT2004 is the
>first real game I've tried to install.
>
>I'm just curious to see if it will run UT2004, and at what frame rates.

My experience with PC gaming (about 20 years worth) is that "onboard"
video, audio, etc. is generally a very poor substitute for "the real
thing", i.e., separate cards. In general, Intel MBs, while stable for
servers and grandmas, don't make good game machines. My own homebuilt
system has a Gigabyte MB with I875 chipset, and gets about 150 FPS
with a Radeon 9700 AIW card at 1024 x 768 res. As my dad told me, you
need the right tool for each job ... integrated graphics and sound
just don't cut it for gaming. YMMV

"Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:35:42 AM

"DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Dekaritae wrote:
>
> The next thing I was going to try was actually downgrading to DirectX 8,
as
> this Intel site

Don't do that. Your card doesn't support all of the features of dx9, but it
will still be required for some games, including ut2004. It will not run
with dx8. There is a lot more to directx than just the video card related
stuff. In fact, I would recommend upgrading to dx9.0C

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

Darmok wrote:
<snip>

> My experience with PC gaming (about 20 years worth) is that "onboard"
> video, audio, etc. is generally a very poor substitute for "the real
> thing", i.e., separate cards. In general, Intel MBs, while stable for
> servers and grandmas, don't make good game machines. My own homebuilt
> system has a Gigabyte MB with I875 chipset, and gets about 150 FPS
> with a Radeon 9700 AIW card at 1024 x 768 res. As my dad told me, you
> need the right tool for each job ... integrated graphics and sound
> just don't cut it for gaming. YMMV

I'm with you.

I didn't build this system for gaming - more for db work and server duty.
But I figured I'd give it a try to see if the onboard video could cut it.
Guess what? It runs UT2004 very well - at least that 1-on-1 bot match.

Settings
-----------------------
resolution: 1024x768
color depth: 32-bit color
Texture, character, world, physics, shadows, etc: all on the very highest
available setting
Other options, such as dynamic lighting, weather effects, foliage: all
turned on

It still jams, but again, just in the 1-on-1 bot match so far.

I'm as surprised as anyone. Is there a place in the game to see your
framerates? If so, I'll report back.

Thanks

> "Mirab, with sails unfurled ..."
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 3:45:19 PM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:30:44 -0400, "DFS" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I'm as surprised as anyone. Is there a place in the game to see your
>framerates? If so, I'll report back.

Bring down the console (~ key) and type in 'stat fps' without the
quotes. It's not terribly accurate but is a decent ballpark figure.
August 10, 2004 4:33:02 PM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 06:13:50 -0400, Darmok
<cooncatspam@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>My experience with PC gaming (about 20 years worth) is that "onboard"
>video, audio, etc. is generally a very poor substitute for "the real
>thing", i.e., separate cards. In general, Intel MBs, while stable for
>servers and grandmas, don't make good game machines. My own homebuilt
>system has a Gigabyte MB with I875 chipset, and gets about 150 FPS
>with a Radeon 9700 AIW card at 1024 x 768 res. As my dad told me, you
>need the right tool for each job ... integrated graphics and sound
>just don't cut it for gaming. YMMV

With mobo chipset's like NVidia's with onboard Soundstorm audio, those
rules don't always apply, but I have yet to see a worthwhile
integrated graphics mobo.