Folder access problem in a slave disk

April 28, 2005 4:06:03 PM

Hi

I had a problem with one desktop with XP SP 1 Professional installed.
I removed the hard disk from that PC and installed it as a slave disk on
another computer with XP SP2 installed.
I tried to read one folder of that disk but it has the read-only property
on and is also password protected. Until now I could'nt read it and I need
to backup the information stored on it.
Please somebody help me!!!
Thanks in advance
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:47:22 PM

You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here for
the procedure:

Nepatsfan
"Alma Quiroz" <Alma Quiroz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
news:D 983408F-9CF9-4D02-91E3-C480F820530A@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I had a problem with one desktop with XP SP 1 Professional
> installed.
> I removed the hard disk from that PC and installed it as a
> slave disk on
> another computer with XP SP2 installed.
> I tried to read one folder of that disk but it has the
> read-only property
> on and is also password protected. Until now I could'nt read it
> and I need
> to backup the information stored on it.
> Please somebody help me!!!
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:30:08 AM

Alma, try reinstalling the hard drive in the old computer and do a
Repair Install

"Alma Quiroz" <Alma Quiroz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 983408F-9CF9-4D02-91E3-C480F820530A@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I had a problem with one desktop with XP SP 1 Professional installed.
> I removed the hard disk from that PC and installed it as a slave disk on
> another computer with XP SP2 installed.
> I tried to read one folder of that disk but it has the read-only property
> on and is also password protected. Until now I could'nt read it and I
> need
> to backup the information stored on it.
> Please somebody help me!!!
> Thanks in advance
April 29, 2005 12:30:09 AM

Hi Rich

Thank you very much, but...
The issue is that the old computer is malfunctioning. It can't turn on.
That's why we want to backup the information stored on the disk.
Thanks again....
Alma
"Rich Barry" escribió:

> Alma, try reinstalling the hard drive in the old computer and do a
> Repair Install
>
> "Alma Quiroz" <Alma Quiroz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 983408F-9CF9-4D02-91E3-C480F820530A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I had a problem with one desktop with XP SP 1 Professional installed.
> > I removed the hard disk from that PC and installed it as a slave disk on
> > another computer with XP SP2 installed.
> > I tried to read one folder of that disk but it has the read-only property
> > on and is also password protected. Until now I could'nt read it and I
> > need
> > to backup the information stored on it.
> > Please somebody help me!!!
> > Thanks in advance

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:55:28 AM

Alma, I have used Linux Knoppix Live CD in the past to access my Fat32
Partitions. Though I'm not sure if it works with
password protected NTFS folders.

!