Update Case's USB?

CorsairFreak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an Antec Two Hundred V2 or a Rosewill Wind Knight for a build I'm going to do but both of those cases have USB 2.0 ports on the front. Would it be possible, when USB 3.0 is the accepted standard, to install USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case?

Solution
You'd have to mod the case to strip out the existing ports, get a USB 3.0 backplate (or in some way get USB 3.0 sockets, cabled with motherboard connectors), strip THEM out and then put into the case (which may require enlarging the existing holes).

In theory it's doable - you just really need USB 3.0 sockets with the appropriate wires and mobo connectors.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You'd have to mod the case to strip out the existing ports, get a USB 3.0 backplate (or in some way get USB 3.0 sockets, cabled with motherboard connectors), strip THEM out and then put into the case (which may require enlarging the existing holes).

In theory it's doable - you just really need USB 3.0 sockets with the appropriate wires and mobo connectors.

Solution

CorsairFreak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for the info guys,

it sounds like a lot more work than I was thinking. I was hoping it would be as easy as unscrewing the USB ports from the case and then installing the new USB 3.0 ports later on. But USB 3.0 isn't that important to me, not yet anyways. From what I've read USB 3.0 won't be in the majority of devices for a few years. So, waiting for case manufacturers to include USB 3.0 would probably be a waste of time for my situation.