Clevo M570TU Dead Display

G

I hope this is the proper place for this thread and I hope someone can help me with my problem.

I have a Clevo M570TU with an 8700M GT video card. The laptops LCD isn't working. At first I tried taking the laptop apart to look for a problem and saw nothing put it back together and it worked! But only for about a week.

After it went out again I tried replacing the LCD screen, with no luck. Finally I tried taking it to a repair shop they told me I need a new video card and that the card isn't available anymore.

I found a LCD cable online and I was thinking that there might be a problem in the LCD cable causing the screen to not work? And that when I originally disassembled the laptop and put it back together it conviently positioned the cable so it would work.

I am wonder if anyone agrees that there is a good chance the LCD cable is bad. I have already spent about $200 trying to fix it and the LCD cable is listed as $50 online, so I don't want to buy it if no one agrees that this is the a likely solution.

The HDMI and DVI both work which lead me to think that the video card should be fine. Am I correct in thinking that if the HDMI and DVI both work then then video card should be fine?

stecman

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
It is unlikely the video card is faulty. I would suspect that one of the monitor cables is loose/faulty - power or video (some machines have a combined cable though).

If you turn the laptop on and get it to a place where you know something should be on the display (logon/idle), shine a bright light at the screen, and see if you can make out the picture (try looking on different angles). If you can, the back light has died/broken and will need to be replaced. If this is not the problem (which I suspect it's not because it started working again for a while), try disassembling the laptop, unplugging and re connecting the cables that come from the monitor housing (I am guessing it's not under a warranty as you would send it away it was?). An unlikely other problem is that the cable connecting into the back of the LCD panel has come out. You can tell this has happened if the backlight comes on but no image is displayed (again, this is very unlikely because that cable is well glued and taped).

haberdashery

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
it will be the video card i just bought one from http://www.clevoweb.co.uk/ i did get offered an repair at http://www.laptoprepairweb.co.uk/. they were going to take the chip off and replace it one of my friends had this done sucessfully, but i opted for the slightly more expensive new card