WD1002FAEX OR WD1003FBYX

samnpatel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I Bought WDC 1 TB SATA 3 WD1002FAEX Model Desktop Internal HDD. Due to some Technical Problem I created a RMA for replacement. The shipped Drive by WDC is WD1003FBYX. It is 1 Tb SATA 2 Enterprise Drive. I think the major diff is with SATA 3 And SATA 2. Should I receive WD1003FBYX or return the drive and ask for Same Configuration drive WD1002FAEX ?

Solution
I'd keep it. SATA3 is more gerared toward SSD's. Your sata 3 hard drive will proably never reach sata 3 speeds. The FBYX drive on the other hand is made for 24/7 use and has TLER turned on so that it can be used in a RAID set without having to worry about it dropping out.
A SATA III hard drive will work fine even if your PC hard drive controllers are only SATA II. This is because SATA III is backwards compatible with the two previous SATA standards.

However, you won't get SATA III performance from the drive if it's connected to a SATA II controller, you will only get SATA II performance from it.

I'd keep it. SATA3 is more gerared toward SSD's. Your sata 3 hard drive will proably never reach sata 3 speeds. The FBYX drive on the other hand is made for 24/7 use and has TLER turned on so that it can be used in a RAID set without having to worry about it dropping out.

Solution