Will a PicoPSU be enough?

danielpool

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Hi,

I'm looking to put together a low-power system which will perform both NAS (general storage, music and video streaming duties) and OTA TV-recording duties. I've pulled together the following hardware (from spares around the house):
■Asus M3N78-EM Mobo (GeForce 8300 onboard GPU)
■AMD Athlon X2 4850e (I think, going off memory and my being too lazy to unclip the heatsink)
■4GB DDR2 RAM
■OCZ 32GB SSD (A really, really old model)
■Hauppauge WinTV NovaT 500

All the above I know works happily on a 120W PicoPSU (Red). However, to this I want to add:
■6x 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA HDDs
■Highpoint RocketRAID 2720(RR2720) 8 channel controller (or similar)
■Hauppauge WinTV NovaT 500

Basically, I'm trying to figure out whether the PicoPSU will drive this, some general calculations put the start up load around 360W, which is much higher than the 200W of the highest rated PicoPSU. IIRC it is possible to delay the start up of the HDDs with the Highpoint cards, but that could be utter rubbish. If that is the case though, a PicoPSU could well be enough. I'd like to avoid using a regular ATX power supply as I'd like to remove as much fan noise as possible (the system will be sited within the living room).

Thanks in advance.
~Dan

No. The 6 hard drives alone will use at least 60 - 70 watts. Even if you can stagger the HD startup, you have a RAID and all the drives will need to be spun up during read and write operations.

A 200 watt PicoPSU may be able to power the system.

I think that you would be better off finding a quiet, full sized PSU.

danielpool

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for the response, guess it was quite obvious but I wanted to make sure.

Time to hunt for that ellusive 80+ Gold 350-400W power supply :)

TRENDING THREADS