Sign in with
Your question

Replace Digital Cable DVR With Tuner?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2010 12:38:38 AM

I'm trying to avoid paying Comcast monthly rental fees for 2 HD DVR cable boxes. Are there any computer TV tuners on the market that would allow me to record all available HD content (including digital HD premium channels like HBO), preferably 2 shows at once?
June 28, 2010 8:16:10 AM

Not currently. But there is a 400 dollar Card that can utilize a cable card for it!

I'm too lazy to look it up now, but if you're interested in spending 400 dollars on a capture card then I'll find it for you.
m
l
June 28, 2010 3:33:33 PM

http://www.cetoncorp.com.

This is the site for the cablecard solution. Note you will still need a cablecard from your cable provider.

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2010 4:38:10 PM

Cox Communications charges 6 dollars per month to rent one from them. Which seems crappy to me. But just a few years ago they didn't give them out at all. Until the FCC stepped in and made them do it.
m
l
June 28, 2010 6:54:40 PM

According to Comcast's web site, there is no fee for the "first" cablecard as it's already included in the outlet fee (sounds to me like even if we don't need one, we're getting charged for it). Any additional cards for that outlet are charged at a rate of $2.05. The same goes for any additional outlets Comcast installs/sets up. First one is free (already charged for). Any additional is $2.05 per.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!