Http://www tomshardware com/forum/276228-31-computer-start-graphics-card

sayre85

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hello,

I'm doing my first build and wanted to make sure my graphics card will be working properly once I finish said build.

I've got everything I need for my system save for the CPU (core i5-760). I've been testing components as they come in to make sure theyre powering up by plugging them in to the motherboard, then attaching the necessary power cables from the PSU (Ultra LSP650).

Today I plugged in the graphics card, and when powering on the computer, I don't see the fan for the GPU spinning. My suspicion is that this is due to their being no CPU for the graphics card to reference, but I just wanted to make sure.

Follow up question: the PSU behaves a little funny when set to 115v on the back of the supply. The fan will spin, then stop, then spin for a bit, then stop. The chassis fans do the same thing. When set to 230v (the european standard), it spins normally and powers all components (save for the graphics card).

I spoke with an engineer at the television station where I work, and he informed me that he thinks the PSU is checking for a CPU and, upon finding none, powering down. Then that process repeats. When set to 230v, the power supply is tricked into thinking that everything is rosy with the components.

Just thought I'd ask for some enlightenment on these issues. Like I said, this is my first build so I'm not sure of a lot of things.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) First & foremost... Get a new PSU!!! You don't want a PSU without Active PFC. This eliminates the 112V & 230V switches on the back of the power supply and provides a much more reliable setup. The PSU is one area you don't want to skimp on & purchase cheap.

2) Your GPU will not work without a CPU in the motherboard, so your screen will remain blank. I would just test once your system is completely built (and you upgrade to a Active PFC supported PSU).

sayre85

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Sorry, I left out details on the display: I don't currently have any display hooked up to the system. I'm merely testing components to make sure that they power up. The graphics card was the one component that wasn't showing me any signs of life, but I'm fairly certain that's due to no CPU being installed. Just wanted to hear insight from someone who might know a little more about it than myself.