Bluetooth connection (driver?) Problem

Genuine

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hello, here are my computer specs first off. It is a laptop but I wasnt sure if it would be more appropriate in this forum or the laptop one...

ASUS N61jq-A1
Intel Core i7 q 720
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Built-in / On-board Bluetooth card
------

My problem is that my bluetooth connections are not stable.

For example; everyonce and awhile (multiple times per day) my generic bluetooth mouse looses connection. Usually it will reconnect if left alone for some time. This same mouse will Constantly loose connection while playing a game called "Battlefield Bad Company 2" online. (Looses connection about every 2 minutes) The only way to immediately fix this is to right click the bluetooth icon in the taskbar and "Add Device", the mouse than shows up on the list and I can install it. Each time I do this it reinstalls the driver successfully and than it will work for a few more minutes...

At times I cannot get the mouse to connect whats so ever. Just yesterday, I was unable to get the mouse connected for the entire day. What makes this problem strange is that it was unable to find drivers to install the mouse either on the computer or through windows update. I decided to try and connect my iPhone 3Gs as well as my bluetooth earpiece and it could not connect to any of these or find drivers for any of them!
After this I installed this broadcom driver through windows update:
broadcomwinupdatedriver.png

The problem was not resolved so I used system restore to go back about 3 days. The problem still existed and none of the 3 bluetooth devices could connect. Just today they all started working again being able to download their drivers as well.

Is this a common problem, why cant I get a stable connection with my mouse?
----
Extra notes:
- I've also been getting blue screen BSOD about once a day at random times, im not sure what is causing these.

Unknown Bluetooth peripheral?
devicemanunknown.png

Current broadcom driver:
broadcomdriver.png

Mouse Driver:
mousedriver.png

accerl8ss

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I have a built-in bluetooth in my laptop and a bluetooth dongle in my desktop. Both now work with my iphone and other bluetooth headsets. Here's what you need to do :

- Download the 'Windows Mobile Device Center' ( current version is 6.1 ) which you can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/device-center-download.mspx
this works for both Vista and Windows 7. I've tried it on both.

- Install the downloaded software but it may not look like it worked on Windows 7 PCs. Vista automatically configures the settings on the bluetooth devices but for those who have Windows 7, here are the things you should do:

- Go to 'Device Manager' from 'Control Panel' -Or- just right-click on Computer Icon and choose 'Properties' and then click on 'Device Manager'.

- You'll see an 'Unknown Device' named 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device'
- Right-Click it and click on "Update Driver Software" -Or- anyway you find it easy to bring up the Update driver window.

- Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" button.

- Click "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer".

- Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list if it asked you to select and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose 'Microsoft Corporation', not only Microsoft.

- From the drivers list there may be one or more drivers with the name "Windows Mobile-Based Device Support" with different driver versions. Select one or the latest.
- Ignore any warnings and keep pressing next and then Finish at last. If all goes well, the last screen will show the message that device driver is successfully installed.

Now, after manually updating the driver for your bluetooth device, in 'Device Manager' when you click on 'Bluetooth Radios', it should display one more item which will say 'Windows Mobile-based device support'.

There are few more things that you want to pay attention to. If you have already added the device in your 'bluetooth device list' that didn't work, then remove the device and add it again. After you add it, you might need to restart the computer if it gave you a connection problem error message.

I hope this will help you guys fix your bluetooth problem with Windows 7. Good luck !

Genuine

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
By the way, I am using the built-in/onboard bluetooth card
=======
Thanks for the reply!

So basically what I need to do is download and install 'Windows Mobile Device Center' on my copy of Windows 7, than try to manually install my Bluetooth Peripheral device with the Microsoft Corporation driver.

This should allow for a more stable connection for all compatible bluetooth devices I try to connect?

Also, should I update to the newer "Broadcom Bus Controller and Ports" drivers through windows update...before/after 'Windows Mobile Device Center' ? I'm not sure if this may conflict.

Genuine

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It seems like these drivers may have helped throughout the operating system environment.

However, it still keeps disconnecting continuously while playing the game called "Battlefield Bad Company 2". I wish I could figure out if the problem is coming from the game, or with a driver problem. What happens is that the mouse icon disappears from the bluetooth devices list completely and needs to be reinstalled in order to be used again... Very annoying!

P.S. is it normal for the mouse to not respond to movement after being idle for ~3+mins until you keep moving it around?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Go to asus website and search for that laptop model maybe they have new drivers update. The Windows Mobile Device Center is intended for mobile devices (like iPad). Try downloading the Broadcom Bus Controller driver for your laptop model. On the device manager try to check if it is successfully installed (should be without the exclamation point). If did it right then the mouse should work.

Genuine

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I Just installed new bus controllers (BT-270). (no change in performance)

I think I have just successfully diagnosed the driver uninstallation problem:
When ever I hold down the right + left mouse buttons for a few seconds at the same time, my mouse disconnects and disappears from the bluetooth device list. I am unsure if it is a feature/bug within the mouse, or with my computer/drivers.

Other than that, I guess everything works ok

G

I think it has to do with the pairing mode when you click the Right+Left Mouse button. For some bluetooth mouse R+L button is for initiating pairing mode. maybe that's why you lost connection.

Genuine

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I think it has to do with the pairing mode when you click the Right+Left Mouse button. For some bluetooth mouse R+L button is for initiating pairing mode. maybe that's why you lost connection.

This seems to be most of the problem. However, regardless of different pairing techniques there are times where the mouse just wont connect for days. I decided to go with USB, wireless mouses are never stable...