Help me solve my Crysis graphics bug!

spongeguar

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Video link - YouTube- Strange Crysis Issue (higher quality)
Picture for closer examination - http://i.imgur.com/P9uVe.jpg

So basically, when I have water set to very high, any object with it's back to the water has a strange white 'flickering" outline.
If I turn anti aliasing to 8x, it almost fixes the issue. It is greatly reduced, and far less visible. If I put AA to 0x and water to low, it completely solves the issue.

I'm convinced that it's not a GPU problem, as I've run 3dmark vantage, OCCT gpu for 1hr, furmark for 30 min, and unigine heaven with no artifactnig whatsoever.

Things I've tried include: Changing water options in the crysis cvargroups to see if I can see what is causing it. I've tried all drivers between 9.12 and 10.6. I've tried changing sprite distance, foliage distance, installing the Crysis demo (issue was still persistent), forcing DX9, etc.

I installed my 8800gt, and the issue went away, but I'm still not entirely convinced that it's a GPU issue, as I've put over 20 hours into other games since discovering this and experienced absolutely no visual anomalies.

Also note, I've asked on overclock.net (GPU is not overclocked) and many of the users said that they didn't see the issue.
Make sure you set the video to 1080p, and look around the branches of the foliage infront of the water.

Also note that my temps never exceed 80c even in furmark.

1. What are your complete PC specifications?

CPU
GPU
Power Supply

2. If you bought a new GPU, and went from ATI to Nvidia or vice versa, did you do a clean install of the drivers after using drive sweeper to clean the registry?

spongeguar

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Well I'll answer taht if you can tell me something else!

Phenom 2 1055T
HD 5770
Corsair 650-TX

Completely new rig.

Now anyways, I found a fix! I changed the "shaderwater" option in the cvars to =0 instead of =2 and it fixed the issue.
Now does that indicate a card issue or a driver/game issue ?

Averagegai

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I have the exact same problem with Bad Company 2, except it's with the sky since there isn't much water in that game.

I think those white outlines are due to AA being turned off or set very low which causes the "jaggies" to be more visible.

I noticed the outlines get less visible the higher I set my AA in both Crysis and BC2.

This problem is more noticeable on my GTX 470 than 260.

spongeguar

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

You're talking about the same issue as me I hope.. so many people say they experience the same thing and then I ask them and they say it's not.

Were you able to see the white "flickering" in my crysis video?

Averagegai

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
To be honest, I didn't bothered to look at the video because from the picture and description you provided, it was dead on with the problem I'm facing with BC2.

One thing I'd like to add, when I mentioned Crysis in my other post, I meant Crysis: Warhead, not the original.

Right now the only thing that makes it less noticeable for me is increasing the AA in Warhead. For BC2, it didn't help much, probably because there's something wrong my with BC2's AA.