Sign in with
Your question

Can my computer be upgraded with a new motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
October 5, 2010 4:27:43 AM

Hello,
I currently own a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop/PC. and would like to install a new Intel H55HC Motherboard with an Intel core i5 650 processor along with a Galaxy GeForce GT220 video card. Can I do this and still keep my current hard drives and other hardware? (I also plan on installing windows 7, and/or linux software)
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2010 6:25:19 AM

You may or may not have to replace the 250W power supply. Minimum recommended is 300W psu, but since the card max draw is only 58W it could well be fine.
m
l
October 13, 2010 4:35:21 AM

Thank you! If I'm going to do the upgrade, I might as well give it a new power supply as well. Your information is very helpful to me since I'm kind of new to the "tech" game.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2010 4:54:30 AM

I agree with Twoboxer. But, your graphics card will become a bottleneck for your pc.
I also recommend 350-400 W psu
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 5:04:01 AM

Yes, you can still keep the other components. Compatibility issue only evolves around RAM module type and CPU to Motherboard combination. Well, maybe IDE/SATA connection issue. But that's resolvable. ;) 
m
l
October 13, 2010 12:27:48 PM

I have had my eye on an NVIDIA Galaxy Gt220 video card. Silly question, but is that the same thing as a graphics card?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 1:26:16 PM

klunkdog said:
I have had my eye on an NVIDIA Galaxy Gt220 video card. Silly question, but is that the same thing as a graphics card?

Yes, it is. Nothing's too silly in terms of naming, don't worry about it. FYI, it's also named as GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) and, you may not believe this, VGA card. Now that's silly... :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 1:32:58 PM

ATX board, MicroATX case, I don't see it happening
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 1:50:51 PM

delluser1 said:
ATX board, MicroATX case, I don't see it happening

That's a uATX case? My reference for prebuilt PCs are so low, I didn't notice it. Blame my DIY habits for this... :lol: 

@klunkdog: Well, that leaves no option other than getting a uATX board. Don't worry, with your preference, it should be easy. :D 

EDIT: I forgot to address the names :p 
m
l
October 13, 2010 11:53:45 PM

Only other issue with re-using the Dell 3000 case is the front audio. Don't believe anyone came up with a decent pinout of that yet, so you'd either have to find an antiquated turtle beach pci audio card or just lose the front audio port.
m
l
!