Some D70 Questions

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 25, 2004 3:55:34 PM

Well I am starting to get used to my D70 and in general I like it. I need
to get a remote release to make up for the lack of a cable release.

But the big problem is how to focus with manual lenses. The focus screen
will just get you close. The little focus dot in the view finder is at
best clumsy to use. I wonder if there is a magnefier for the view finder.
It would be possible to bracket the focus for still shots, but that would
be time consuming especially if exposure backeting is also being used.
Perhaps someone else has come up with a better idea.

Also there was a small plastic piece that seems to be about the right size
to cover the view finder eye piece, but if that is what it is for, I can't
figure how to put it on. If it isn't I guess that some black tape would
do the job. The reason, of course is for very long exposures, such as for
astro photography, it is good to block stray light coming in through the
view finder.

Jake

More about : d70 questions

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:55:35 PM

"Glenn Jacobs" <gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote in message
> Well I am starting to get used to my D70 and in general I like it. I need
> to get a remote release to make up for the lack of a cable release.
>
> But the big problem is how to focus with manual lenses. The focus screen
> will just get you close. The little focus dot in the view finder is at
> best clumsy to use. I wonder if there is a magnefier for the view finder.

The manual says the DG-2 2x viewfinder magnifier works with an adapter.

> Also there was a small plastic piece that seems to be about the right size
> to cover the view finder eye piece, but if that is what it is for, I can't
> figure how to put it on.

It slides down over the top of the viewfinder.

I, too, miss interchangeable focusing screens.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 5:15:05 PM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:52:25 -0800, C J Campbell wrote:

>> Also there was a small plastic piece that seems to be about the right size
>> to cover the view finder eye piece, but if that is what it is for, I can't
>> figure how to put it on.
>
> It slides down over the top of the viewfinder.

Thanks, I don't know why it didn't work for me, after you mentioned it I
tried it and it should have been obvious.

jake
December 25, 2004 11:09:27 PM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:55:34 -0700, Glenn Jacobs
<gjacobs@remove.starband.net> wrote:

>Well I am starting to get used to my D70 and in general I like it. I need
>to get a remote release to make up for the lack of a cable release.
>
>But the big problem is how to focus with manual lenses. The focus screen
>will just get you close. The little focus dot in the view finder is at
>best clumsy to use. I wonder if there is a magnefier for the view finder.
>It would be possible to bracket the focus for still shots, but that would
>be time consuming especially if exposure backeting is also being used.
>Perhaps someone else has come up with a better idea.

I'm thinking about a D70 and to wondered how well the worked with
manual focus lenses which I prefer.

What ever happen to putting decent focusing screens into digital
SLR's. My old F3 had about a dozen options for the screen and my Ziess
Contarexs had the best I've ever used a frensel with a split image in
the center.

Have we forgotten how to focus lenses?

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel,
read only a page."

Saint Augustine (354 - 430)
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 11:09:28 PM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:09:27 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

> I'm thinking about a D70 and to wondered how well the worked with
> manual focus lenses which I prefer.
>
> What ever happen to putting decent focusing screens into digital
> SLR's. My old F3 had about a dozen options for the screen and my Ziess
> Contarexs had the best I've ever used a frensel with a split image in
> the center.
>
> Have we forgotten how to focus lenses?

That is one option, i wonder if the view screen can be changed? obviously
it would take a camera repair shop to do it. But by and large I still like
the D70.

Jake
!