What kinda power supply do u think i need for this!?

What about the rest of the components.? You need to provide info on the processor you are using and any overclock that you may have performed on it.. Do mention your budget also.. Meanwhile, a good 450W PSU (like the Corsair VX 450) is enough to power a single GTX 260.. Considering an overclocked processor and other standard components (hard drive(s), optical drive(s) etc.) a good 550W PSU should cut it..

4745454b

Titan
Oops, forgot about the PSU part of this question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gtx-280,1953-25.html

As for the maximum consumption of the cards, Nvidia claims 236 W for the GTX 280 alone and 182 W for the GTX 260.

I believe this is for the original 192SP GTX260. For easy math and extra shaders (and PSU headroom) lets say 200W per card. Seeing as you'd need two of them for surround view, you'll need 400W just for the GPUs. And another 100W for the CPU and your at 500W. Another 50 or so for the mobo and other devices, and I wouldn't run anything less then a 550W. I personally would get a 650W or better so you don't stress the PSU to bad. One of those Antec, Corsair, or XFX 650W should be fine. Make sure it can do around 500W on the 12V rail.

A GTX260 needs two 6 pin pci-e connectors, and a 500w psu with 38amps on the 12v rails.
A quality unit like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PC P&C, or XFX is better.
Here is a decent corsair 650w unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

The gtx260 can run two monitors. If you want a third monitor, you need an extra video controller. Possibly, your motherboard has an integrated controller, or you will need a second discrete video card.

miked79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
i have this one! http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567&CatId=2533

is that good enough? ty!

Also to be clear. I want to have the 3 monitors to act as one big monitor ( for gaming) not just for a extended desktop

Also , I have just got my hands on another gtx 260.

But before i purchase 2 more monitors . Is all I gotta do now is just plug 2 monitors into one card, and plug the other monitor into the other card? ( all through DVI)

thanks

4745454b

Titan
Should be good enough. You have 540W on the 12V rail. I'm not sure who makes that one, but it should be alright.

The issue your going to have with it is your going to be one PCIe plug short, two if you can't use the 8pin PCIe plug. The cards should come with an adapter so use one of them.

miked79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I already have 2 pci express adapters that use 2 4 pins, to make 1 pci express 6 pin, to power the 2nd card SLI.

So perhaps now all i need is 2 more monitors to achieve my goal of being a super nerd?

thanks!

miked79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
nice nice!
Ya i was lookin at those converters , they are like another 100 bucks or sOo! hehe

Is Eyefinity a program that I must buy to get the 3 monitors to stretch? Or is eyefinity and surround view, just ATI and Nvidias own different set ups

Thanks again

4745454b

Titan
They are built into the drivers. You download either AMD or Nvidias drivers and install them. (whichever you own of course.) Built into them now is the ability to use more then one display as one display. Setup is different for each one, and you need an SLI setup in Nvidia's case. Once you have it setup however your three monitors will show as one to windows or any games you have.