Upgrading to SSD - A couple questions...

Hey guys,

I currently am in a raid 0 with 2 500gb 7200RPM HDDS.

I am about to purchase this: http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC256B-WW/dp/B0077CR66A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know a decent amount about computers, but am pretty retarded when it comes to cloning/backing stuff up etc.

What I want to do is use this SSD drive for my OS/programs/games etc, and then just have the 2 500 drives for storage.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ethan
13 answers Last reply
More about upgrading couple questions
  1. Your best bet would be to reinstall everything.

Your second choice would be to shrink the partition size of the RAID0 drive down to as small as you can and pray that it's exactly equal to or smaller than the maximum size of the SSD. After that, you would clone the partition with a free tool like Clonezilla, then restore that partition to the new SSD. If that partition is smaller than the SSD's actual size, then you would expand said partition to its fullest. After that, you could wipe the RAID0 array and move on.
  2. Maybe I'm missing part of this, but ... just install windows on the SSD, then move your "my documents" and "my music" folders to the storage drives (using the "properties" menu).
  3. Well, right now I only have 154 GB used out of my 931GB free, does that make anything easier?
  4. I want my computer to be exactly 100% like it is now, except I have an SSD running my OS/programs/games. I don't even need a raid, I could just use one of those 500GB drives for backup. I don't use tons of space and have a 1 TB external HD as well.
  5. it's not suggested, but you could use a software like Acronis to make an image of your current setup, after resizing the Array to less than the size of the SSD, then just restore the image to the SSD

the best method on an SSD is to install a fresh copy of windows, and all programs, etc
  6. Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will just probably not upgrade then, don't really want to run a fresh install and tweak everything to get it exactly how I have it now.
  7. FYI... you DO realize that IF one of your drives fails, you will LOSE ALL DATA, unless you have it backed up to somewhere, of course
  8. statx805 said:
    Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will just probably not upgrade then, don't really want to run a fresh install and tweak everything to get it exactly how I have it now.

Sorry, but this is dumb. Install on an SSD is fast. 15 min install, then maybe an hour for updates and restarts. Use windows easy transfer to save your stuff (type it into start and it comes up). It will remember the majority of your settings, etc.
  9. Thanks for letting me know it's dumb, that's helpful :P I have way too many serial numbers etc that I would lose, so I need to clone my drive and not start fresh.

After doing some more research it seems I can just use EaseUS ToDo backup (free version) and just clone my raid 0 over to an SSD. I guess you just have to tick the "optimize for SSD" button before you clone it, and it sets up the alignment properly.

Anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work? I am definitely going to backup my data first before trying it out.
  10. statx805 said:
    ...Anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work? I am definitely going to backup my data first before trying it out.

It will not work because the SSD is smaller in size
  11. 1) Cloning which is a sector by sector copy or imaging (which is the same thing) is out. What you must use is a migration program that will OMIT your Raid driver and substitute a ahci or equivalant driver. Migration will resize partition as long as all the OS, drivers, and Programs will fit!

2) You are currently using 154 gigs, but I'm quessing that includes all the files you have generated. What you need to do is backup all your generated files, delete them and see if you can get down to about 90 Gigs - That is about the max you can put on say a 128 gig SSD (128 is really about 119 and then must leave about 15% unused so tha wear leveling, CG and trim can work their magic.

3) Alternative is go for a 240/256 gig SSD - Onsale normally around 150->180 bucks.

Myself, Yes an SSD is worth the hassle.
    However I do know that that is not always Possible - sheeee Like my wife's system.
    Started as an XP computer. She Bought New computer with Vista so Had to migrate all her programs from XP machine to Vista system. I gave her Vista computer away after I built her a Win 7 i5 system after I again Mygrated vista to New system. Then I she complained obout the slowwwww boot times (she also had some Windows 7 problems). so I had to Migrate OS + Programs to a spare HDD (heaven Help me if I messed up her HD). That gave me a working drive to then Migrate OS + Programs to a SSD. BUT it was Worth it.

Bottom Line there are more than on way to skin a cat.
  12. Belarc Advisor/Steam should pull all of your registration codes.
  13. ^ Tried a number of programs (even some of the expensive ones) to retrieve activation codes. Did not find one that would retrieve all codes. So Dependent on which programs. In My wife's case she has a program that she has upgraded upteen times and Each upgrade required the previous version. BUT the the First version required the use of a parallel Dongle -OPPS where is that parallel port. So not just about Registration/activation codes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD NAS / RAID Storage