Are G.Skill SSD's Reliable?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Intel
  • G.SKILL
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2012 4:37:22 PM

Okay so.. this would be my first time purchasing an ssd and the ones readily available here are the Intel 320's and 330's, and G.Skill Phoenix III's - like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm looking to install a 120gb ssd to put in a laptop, and RELIABILITY is of utmost importance. I heard about the Intel 8mb bug so I'm leaning towards the G.Skill. But what do you guys think is the most reliable from the ones I listed above? Will be buying later today.

TIA :bounce: 

More about : skill ssd reliable

October 18, 2012 5:24:14 PM

Amazon has the Samsung 830 128gb for 69.99 that's your best bet for reliability or I would go with Intel. Can't beat the deal on the Samsung though.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 18, 2012 5:31:48 PM

Pgooch said:
Amazon has the Samsung 830 128gb for 69.99 that's your best bet for reliability or I would go with Intel. Can't beat the deal on the Samsung though.

I'm guessing he is in a country where there is a limited selection.

However, I'm rather interested in that deal. Could you post a link to it? (I'm seeing a price of 100$ for the 128GB)

@OP I didn't even know Gskill made SSDs. I would bet they are just another sandforce drive, which aren't very reliable. I would go for the intel, and make sure you update the firmware (I'm fairly sure the intel bug was one that was resolved by a firmware update, but it probably wiped data for the people who got hit by the bug).
m
l
October 18, 2012 6:41:05 PM

djscribbles said:
I'm guessing he is in a country where there is a limited selection.

However, I'm rather interested in that deal. Could you post a link to it? (I'm seeing a price of 100$ for the 128GB)

@OP I didn't even know Gskill made SSDs. I would bet they are just another sandforce drive, which aren't very reliable. I would go for the intel, and make sure you update the firmware (I'm fairly sure the intel bug was one that was resolved by a firmware update, but it probably wiped data for the people who got hit by the bug).

Yeah the GSkill has the SandForce 2281 controller. There are also Corsair, OCZ, and Sandisk SSD's here, among a few others. I just didn't consider those as they have poor to almost non-existent support, whereas Intel's support is excellent, at least from where I live. Okay there's also Samsung and Crucial, I would particularly like to get the M4, the problem however, is that they skimped on the warranty to just a year, which I find unacceptable.

So, if I go with Intel, should I go for the 320 or the 330 series? The 330 is newer but the 320's 5 year warranty is hard to pass up... which one do you think should I get?
m
l
a b å Intel
a b G Storage
October 18, 2012 6:45:05 PM

tomshardwood said:
Yeah the GSkill has the SandForce 2281 controller. There are also Corsair, OCZ, and Sandisk SSD's here, among a few others. I just didn't consider those as they have poor to almost non-existent support, whereas Intel's support is excellent, at least from where I live. Okay there's also Samsung and Crucial, I would particularly like to get the M4, the problem however, is that they skimped on the warranty to just a year, which I find unacceptable.

So, if I go with Intel, should I go for the 320 or the 330 series? The 330 is newer but the 320's 5 year warranty is hard to pass up... which one do you think should I get?
Get which ever you prefer read the link i provided you bud it's very helpful :) 
m
l
!