Sign in with
Your question

$500-1000 gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2010 10:36:04 PM

Hi there people,

I'm in a process in building a gaming rig and I want some suggestions from you people

Here is what I'll be doing with the rig from greatest to least

gaming - videos - music

the games I would like to play with no prob is crisis, star craft 2, well mostly the latest games but you get the picture

I mostly like intel for the cpu so give me your guys best build for the price range in the middle or most from $500-1000 for more info just leave a post. thanks in advance!!

More about : 500 1000 gaming rig

July 31, 2010 10:40:02 PM

sorry for double post but I wanted to add something...

I'll be doing either crossfire or sli plus i'll be doing overclocking as well

also, please let me know why you chosen the items in your build thanks again!
m
l
August 1, 2010 1:50:47 AM

CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 955
Motherboard: Asus M4N98TD-EVO or Asus M4A79XTD-EVO
Graphics Card: 1GB GTX460 or 1GB 5850
RAM: 4GB kit DDR3 1600MHz
Power Supply: Corsair TX-750watt
You could even go for the 650watt if you wanted to but just to
play it safe go with 750 if you want to crossfire just incase
you want to add other things aswell in the future.

m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2010 1:51:48 AM

you can get better for in that price range, but its just an idea....
m
l
August 1, 2010 3:00:53 AM

thanks you westham for your build any other for an intel build? dont be afraid =]
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2010 4:05:36 PM

i5 760 cpu(best intel cpu for its price, i think)

gigabyte gtx 460 1gb OC edition graphics card

im not sure what motherboard, but i suggest a ud4p

4 gigs of ram ddr3 1600

id also go for a 750 watt psu

stick with the gtx 460 tho.... i was going to get a 5850 but i decided to get the gtx 460 as it is about 10% performance decrease and its alot cheaper, and when put in sli compared 2 a 5850 in crossfire its identical if not even better

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2010 4:07:51 PM

what aftermarket cpu cooler are you going 2 get? i suggest a noctua NH-D14
m
l
August 2, 2010 12:28:29 AM

yes that i5 760 is on my list right now I'm currently looking into a mobo for my needs thanks for your build gordon any others out there?
m
l
August 2, 2010 12:03:42 PM

well here is my build after doing some research and all

CPU: Intel i5-760
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E PRO
GPU: GTX 460
PSU: Corsair TX-750w
RAM: G Skill 4GB 2x2GB Ram
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
CASE: CoolMaster 690

tell me what you guys think =] well took me all night so i better be going to bed now good night everyone
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 12:37:30 PM

pretty solid build i think, good motherboard, only thing that might need changing is the case
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 12:39:04 PM

and what aftermarket cpu cooler are you going to get?
m
l
August 3, 2010 5:57:54 PM

i probably will go with that cooler that you suggested... and for the case what case would you suggest?
m
l
August 3, 2010 6:41:42 PM

It's all pretty good for your build except you may want to consider something other than a 1TB HDD. They are super prone to high heat output, drive errors due to fragmented files, and defraging' your 1TB monster can take a REALLY long time. Your may consider dual 500 GB HDD's just for better performance. Most of 1TB praise is hype, plus if your are going to game on a system most games perform quite poorly when the Drive they are running from has for instance a single file across the drive's countless Allocation Units (typically from 512KB - 4096KB per Allocated unit.) And if this files say a sound that regularly loads from a packed file (.mpq, .pk3, etc.) and that is fragmented with 20 or 30 GB's between the pieces, every time you load this file, a minor lag WILL occur. Now picture this happening every time with several threads loading and using these fragmented files and unnoticeable lag suddenly adds up to really noticeable lag. Now aside from 1TB seeming like a great thing, it can be if your major usage is storage and music, but if you want really good performance out of it you WILL need to defrag' it, which will take a certainly longer time than say a 500GB or even 320GB setup. A good thing to do here would be to even just format the second of two 500GB drives with NTFS and mount it into a folder where you install games and name it overflow or something. So when you defrag' it will take half the time and if you run games like Unreal Tournament 3, StarCraft II, or any high memory hogging games, they will fragment your Hard Drives. Other than that, really solid system. How much will it cost? As for your case, Check out TigerDirect.com. They have some good cases. I could probably suggest one from them or someone else but one quick question: are you going to overclock anything?
m
l
August 4, 2010 12:29:08 AM

Very well detailed about the driver I was thinking about 500gb too since once I dl I burn and delete the music or movies for
overclocking ill probably will but not right now but when I want to I can :) 
And thanks for the suggestionon the case I appreciate it
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:00:07 AM

eericc said:
Very well detailed about the driver I was thinking about 500gb too since once I dl I burn and delete the music or movies for
overclocking ill probably will but not right now but when I want to I can :) 
And thanks for the suggestionon the case I appreciate it

if you are doing that you might also consider making a seperate partition just for dl/burn/delete as it will not affect the other stuff like gaming terribly. The reason is that this partition can be defragged much faster. And your quite welcome.
m
l
August 5, 2010 2:34:59 AM

The cooler suggested is a good one, but depending on how much you plan to overclock you might want to look into the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or something like it.
m
l
August 5, 2010 8:05:04 AM

wigginsd88 said:
if you are doing that you might also consider making a seperate partition just for dl/burn/delete as it will not affect the other stuff like gaming terribly. The reason is that this partition can be defragged much faster. And your quite welcome.

thats a very good ideal!! never thought of that(but prob alot of people had already like you haha) thank you again!!

Trueno07 said:
The cooler suggested is a good one, but depending on how much you plan to overclock you might want to look into the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or something like it.

hi there i check out that cooler master hyper 212 looks solid!!! i prob might get that one instead of the other one since in the future i'll be OCing thank you for your post

as of right now I've got everything written down ready to make purchase

thank you guys for the suggestions and stuff i appreciate all your guys helps!!! :sol: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2010 7:51:29 AM

what about the thermalright venomous x? for the cpu cooler?
m
l
!